Bauernfrühstück

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by idahopz, Jun 15, 2016.

1. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Bauernfrühstück (farmer's breakfast) is a dish that my mother used to make when I was a kid - she was from Germany. I tried for years to repeat her yummy goodness, but until recently it was always a bit "off".  I finally figured out how to replicate her method.  Typically bacon is chopped and rendered, then onion and garlic are added.  While those are cooking, potatoes are diced and put into the pan and allowed to brown while turning frequently.  Meanwhile 6 eggs were lightly beaten.  This time instead of bacon, I heated a bit of bacon fat that I keep stock frozen and added small cubed home smoked pastrami.

Once the meat, potatoes, onion, and garlic are crisped and brown, the heat is turned off and the beaten eggs are added and folded into the hot mixture until cooked. The result is real comfort food - creamy potatoes seasoned with the bacon, pastrami, onion and garlic.  It was so good, my missus and I ate the whole pan which contained 8 potatoes!  I'm going to need to go on a diet.

smokeymose and butthead66 like this.
  2. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Always tasty! Very similar to what we make in the Dutch oven when camping.

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

I like the Pastrami twist. I have made this for years using corned beef, so I can see the Pastrami being even better...JJ

4. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Tasty looking dish!

Disco

5. lancep

lancep Master of the Pit

Well Crap!! Now I need some pastrami....

6. worktogthr

worktogthr Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Man, that is my dream breakfast right there.  Looks delicious!

7. mr t 59874

mr t 59874 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

That could be eaten alllllllll day long.

Thanks for sharing PZ.

T

8. smokeymose

smokeymose Master of the Pit

Now that sounds really good! I have a 2# piece of smoked brisket point in the freezer. I wonder.....
    Points for the idea!
    Dan

9. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

I love the idea of Dutch oven cooking, and I have a Lodge.  However, I'm just a beginner, and am using it only for baking crisp thick crust European style bread. I need to expand my horizons!
    Thanks Disco! Being German, my mother made all kinds of satisfying comfort foods. My regret is that I did not learn more from her, in many ways.
    lol, I know what you mean, LanceP! Once I found Cash and Carry, I started smoking packer corned beef and now keep some frozen most of the time.
    Appreciate the comment worktogthr! My mother told me it was designed to give the working farmer all he needed to do a full day's work. Sure is nice that it tastes as good as it is designed to do for one's energy.
    lol, we stuffed ourselves full all day long!  Our bellies ached by the end of the day, but not one morsel remained in the pan!
    Brisket is an excellent idea - we do variations of this dish with brisket, pulled port, ribs, and of course corned beef.  The sky is the limit, and I say that any meat is fair game when it comes to potatoes and eggs.

... and thanks for the point, SmokeyMose!

10. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Thanks for the comment, Chef JJ! 

11. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

The name had me wondering,do I want to open this and I finally did LOL That looks like a great winter breakfast.Thanks

Richie

12. Yum! My Mom used to make this for Sunday Breakfast when I was a kid! Will have to try this with my picky eater hubby! (he only likes Scrambled Eggs without anything in them! No Cheese no nothing!)  I am going to try this Sunday! Thanks!

Smoke it if ya got it!

Pibble Love! 

PitBulMom

13. Man that looks good.

14. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

lol, that's funny Richie - I would have the same response if I'd not known the origins! Yeah, it is one of my favorites on a cold and rainy/snowy day - there is something so comforting about a meal like this when it is rather hostile outside.
    Thanks for the comment PitBulMom! I used to hate scrambled eggs until I did them not so well cooked. When done creamy they are most excellent.  Hope your hubby will enjoy them with a bit of additions!
    Thanks murraysmokin!  Once you try it, you'll likely keep in your "go-to" recipe file for breakfast.  I've served it to so many guests in the past, and they all seemed to really like it.