Basic Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
The same follower who requested a basic easy method of making brisket and chicken asked if I would do a post on Basic Ribs. Here it is! This is the method to make delicious beef ribs in the smoker that can be easily made by a beginning smoker.

I will address the different kinds of ribs. Prime ribs are the ribs cut off a prime rib roast. As butchers charge a premium price for prime rib roasts, they usually trim these as close as possible to the bone. They often don’t have much meat on them.

The longer middle portion of the ribs usually have some meat on the surface of them and cut be cut in halve for shorter ribs or left whole for long beef ribs.

The blade or short ribs are shorter and have larger layer of meat on the surface. However, they are the toughest of the ribs.

This method works with all of the different rib varieties.

I started with 1.5 kg (3 pounds) of prime ribs. I made a simple rub of:

• 6 ml (1 1/4 tsp) salt
  • 6 ml (1 1/4 tsp) pepper
  • 6 ml (1 1/4 tsp) onion powder
  • 6 ml (1 1/4 tsp) garlic powder
This is sometimes referred to as SPOG. I put it in my Traeger Timberline at 225 F (110 C) with the meat side up for 3 hours. You can use any smoker.

Basic Beef Ribs 01.jpg

After 3 hours, I brought the ribs in and wrapped them in heavy duty foil. Put them back in 225 F (110 C) heat for 2 hours. As the ribs are foil wrapped, they will not take any more smoke flavour so you can use and oven or smoker as you please with no change to the result.

Basic Beef Ribs 02.jpg

Unwrap the ribs and brush them with your favourite barbecue sauce. Cook for 10 minutes. Brush them with sauce again and cook for 10 minutes more.

Basic Beef Ribs 03.jpg

Bring the ribs in and let them sit for 10 minutes. Slice into individual ribs and serve.

Basic Beef Ribs 04.jpg

Depending on your type of smoker, there will be a red ring around the surface of the rib. This is not rare beef. It is the valued smoke ring!

Basic Beef Ribs 06.jpg

Basic Beef Ribs 07.jpg

Here is a video of this method.

The Verdict

These ribs are not inferior in any way because they are easy. They have a great beefy taste, a wonderful bark (crust), and a touch of sweet/spicy from the barbecue sauce. I would be proud to serve these to my friends at any time.

Disco

Nice write up Disco, and even nicer looking ribs.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: disco
I’m new here but you have an amazing write up talent for you’re cooks. I have only done these once and those looks amazing. Question, did you just by your time or temp check or probe for done ness? Keep up the good work.

Very nice, Disco. I have some ribs in my freezer left from de-boning a whole rib to cut into ribeyes. My plan was to use them in soup or to make stock, but those plans have now changed.

Very nice disco, that’s what I call dancing with the beef bones! Oh and simple can be more than good it can be outstanding! It’s also something I’ve noticed while using many Gordon Ramsey recipes is that they are quite simple but all elevate flavor and texture....ie like adding the salted starchy water the potato’s are boiled in for making mash.....simple but wow!

Another great post disco disco thanks!

Thanks so much!

I’m new here but you have an amazing write up talent for you’re cooks. I have only done these once and those looks amazing. Question, did you just by your time or temp check or probe for done ness? Keep up the good work.

Your compliment is very kind. Thank you! As for time versus temperature, almost all of smoked meats are done to temperature and/or probing but I do my ribs to time. Three hours of smoke gives a good bark. Two hours in foil will tenderize the ribs due to the moist heat and the final 20 minutes gives a glaze and tightens the meat a little.

Phenomenal thread... as per usual! Nice cook my friend!

Thanks, Justin. I just love my food.

Very nice, Disco. I have some ribs in my freezer left from de-boning a whole rib to cut into ribeyes. My plan was to use them in soup or to make stock, but those plans have now changed.

Great! I hope you left some meat on them bones!

Nice job on the ribs Disco, they look fantastic!
Al

Thanks, Al!

Great looking ribs there . I agree . Nice thread and write up as always .

Very kind, chopsaw!

Very nice disco, that’s what I call dancing with the beef bones! Oh and simple can be more than good it can be outstanding! It’s also something I’ve noticed while using many Gordon Ramsey recipes is that they are quite simple but all elevate flavor and texture....ie like adding the salted starchy water the potato’s are boiled in for making mash.....simple but wow!

Thanks so much! I agree with simple being tasty but I do like to inject a bit into my ribs and make a sauce for serving. However, these were great and I have to remember to go back to basics sometimes.

Oh my gosh....not beef ribs again...your killing me....one of my favorite, and so hard to find...at a reasonable price that is. Good tutorial Disco.

Thanks so much. I totally get it on the price of beef ribs but sometimes, you just have to treat yourself.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky