Barbecue is Barbecue, Grilling is Grilling,

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AlisaHara035

Original poster
Aug 9, 2018
Or is it?

Most people see a difference. BBQ low and slow, grilling fast and quick. In the oven is not BBQ.

What about direct BBQ cooking? Where you cook directly over the grill but slow.

What about the claims that original BBQ was cooked directly over coals where today it is indirect. Mayans and Native North Americans used indirect smoke methods for hundreds of years before Europeans arrived.

What about Myron Mixon who uses a fast and hot method. Is that grilled or BBQ?

Why do some people get so upset when you say you are having a BBQ and you cook burgers and hot dogs. Webster defines barbecue when used as a noun as "an outdoor meal or party at which food is cooked on a barbecue".

In the end, does it really matter and people just need to relax and stop taking things too serious?

Reactions: kit s
Honestly who cares!
If it tastes good they eat it, if it doesn't they don't. It doesn't matter what you call it!
Al

Reactions: kit s
Seems people everywhere are taking everything too seriously. In the greater scheme of things, nothing is that important (except of course fire, smoke, and meat).

BBQ is BBQ, it is to me a general term for many methods.
The distinction is in the method of BBQ.
Smoked, Grilled, Rotissered, Spit Roasted and many more.
Cajun Microwave? Hibachi? Pit cooked?
Wow, right there, wanna open a can'o worms, PIT, what constitutes a pit or pit cooked?
Or draw the lines at outdoor or indoors, wood or charcoal, gas or electric?
Does the Ronco countertop electric chicken rotisserie count? What if I put it on the patio?

This could get interesting.
Where's my popcorn?

BBQ is BBQ, it is to me a general term for many methods.
The distinction is in the method of BBQ.
Smoked, Grilled, Rotissered, Spit Roasted and many more.
Cajun Microwave? Hibachi? Pit cooked?
Wow, right there, wanna open a can'o worms, PIT, what constitutes a pit or pit cooked?
Or draw the lines at outdoor or indoors, wood or charcoal, gas or electric?
Does the Ronco countertop electric chicken rotisserie count? What if I put it on the patio?

Where's my popcorn?
I'm betting it would be damn good popcorn!

Too many people are looking for an argument wherever they go. It's time to take a step back and fire up the smoker or grill. Pop out a cold one and chill. Enjoy life for a bit instead of trying to cause more strife and chaos. It's one of the things I like most about barbecuing. Just shutting out all the crap and enjoying myself. However you cook yours, enjoy some barbecue this weekend or hell today for that matter.

George

Or is it?

Most people see a difference. BBQ low and slow, grilling fast and quick. In the oven is not BBQ.

What about direct BBQ cooking? Where you cook directly over the grill but slow.

What about the claims that original BBQ was cooked directly over coals where today it is indirect. Mayans and Native North Americans used indirect smoke methods for hundreds of years before Europeans arrived.

What about Myron Mixon who uses a fast and hot method. Is that grilled or BBQ?

Why do some people get so upset when you say you are having a BBQ and you cook burgers and hot dogs. Webster defines barbecue when used as a noun as "an outdoor meal or party at which food is cooked on a barbecue".

In the end, does it really matter and people just need to relax and stop taking things too serious?
They need to have another beer ... and then continue the debate. : ) The bigger difference is smoking vs. grilling/bbq. BBQ'd chicken is rarely smoked, but it can be, but we don't say, "Hey, that's not barbecued, it's grilled" and storm away from the table. No, we grab another leg quarter and have at it! You can smoke ribs and then finish them on the grill for a crispier crust. Personally, "grilling" is the least satisfying term to use because it includes appliances like the George Foreman grill, which you use indoors. But pass me another beer and we can debate that, too!

To me I guess BBQ is more low and slow but what the heck. If someone is going to be cooking me up a good steak etc. over direct heat I am not going to pick nits! As long as it tastes good I guess I don't really care what method is used.

Okay, the actual word barbecue is originally barabicu or barbacoa. This generally refers to a slower cooking process, but I've never seen how slow of a process. Even with it's origins taken into account, this is a dumb argument grilling vs barbecue as far as terminology goes. The fact is words and the definitions or these words can and have changed over time. And I think a petty argument over this is just an example of stubbornness.

Where's my popcorn?

Why, in the pantry of course.
Just put a bag in the microwave and tap the popcorn button,
Then start.

But I don't think that is Bar-B-Qued.
I could be wrong. I was once...

Does burned popcorn classify as BBQed?
It smokes. So confusing!

ROTFLMAO!:D

I like to put Parmesan Cheese on my Popcorn.
Does that make it Italian? Or Pizza Popcorn? :rolleyes:

Jiffy Pop.popcorn over a campfire, that has to be BBQ..
I mean what the hell, half of it gets burnt so the rest is smoked, right?

Ya wanna know what is heavenly on popcorn?
Black Truffle Salt.
Oh my gosh is that freaking good.

But more commonly I use Ranch dressing powder on my popcorn, yum!

Reactions: SonnyE
Jiffy Pop.popcorn over a campfire, that has to be BBQ..
I mean what the hell, half of it gets burnt so the rest is smoked, right?

Ya wanna know what is heavenly on popcorn?
Black Truffle Salt.
Oh my gosh is that freaking good.

I donno...
I don't eat burned popcorn.
I'm usually to busy trying to ventilate the stink... :eek:

5 minutes or 20 hrs if it wasn't cooked on the stove in the kitchen it can qualify as BBQ in my opinion

We had Bar-B-Que Burnt Ends for dinner.
I can prove it.

20180809_165749[1].jpg

Bar-B-Qued in the Microwave. :p

We decided we will NOT be trying it again....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky