Bangers and Mash!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

6GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 12, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
IMG_0543.jpg

This was my first time making this, so I tried to follow the recipe as is. I scaled it back for only a pound of pork, and used ground instead of pork shoulder. This was kind of spur of the moment so I didn't hang the links, or rest them in the fridge. They were stuffed, and thrown in the skillet. Next time, I'll let them dry up a bit, and throw them on the smoker. I also used instant potatoes. This was a great meal on a crappy, rainy night. Here is the recipe:

Bangers (around 8)

5 lb. Pork shoulder ( I used ground pork)
1 1⁄2 cups Pork broth ( I used Better than Bouillon Ham Base because I already had it)
1 cup Rusk (bread crumbs)
5 tsp. Salt
4 tsp. White pepper
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Mace (didn't use. couldn't find locally)
1⁄2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Rubbed Sage
35mm hog casings

Bangers, and Mash

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 bangers
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large sweet onion , halved and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic , minced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups beef broth
salt and pepper , to taste
mashed potatoes

Stuff, dry and cook your Bangers (love that name) the way you want. In a skillet, add the butter and onions and saute them. Add garlic, and saute for less than a minute.
Add about 3/4 cup of beef broth and mix into the onion so it becomes a sludge. Then add remaining beef broth and mix until combined. Simmer, stirring, until the gravy thickens but is slightly thinner than you want - it will thicken more as it sits. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the cooked sausages back to the pan just to warm through.

To serve, mound some mashed potatoes on a plate, top with a couple Bangers, and drizzle with gravy.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Looks amazing! Can't say I've ever had it but how can you go wrong with meat, potatoes and gravy!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
Now that's some comfort food there!! Very nice plate of food and a great job putting it all together.

Robert

Now that's some comfort food there!! Very nice plate of food and a great job putting it all together.

Robert
Thanks Robert. I really appreciate it!! Unfortunately I erred on the side of caution, and only made enough for one sitting. Back to the store I go!

Dave

My list of things to make just keeps growing and growing. This is a great addition to the list.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky