Bang Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
I got some Gunpowder today from a friend in Alabama. Decided to give it a shot added to some seasoning for 1.5 lbs of sticks.

Here is my add to the meat.

9dab771c_DSC00288.jpg

Used up some 20mm collagen i had vac sealed.

d22c7045_DSC00289.jpg

Cut and tied both ends and ready for my 6 rack.

d3835f6f_DSC00290.jpg

In 6 rack, PID set at 130* ramping to 170* with hickory.

9d19e823_DSC00291.jpg

Stalled at the normal 134* Meat IT. Open the door to get em going again. Had the door open for less than 30 seconds and look how fast the casing wrinkled from the cold air.

736cd549_DSC00295.jpg

Are you saying you added GUNPOWDER to your snack sticks???

Yeah i'm puzzled...gunpowder?really...no it has to be some type of slang word for some spice?  wouldn't gunpowder explode in the smoker? Can you even eat gunpowder?.....Don't have gas around a open flame!!!! That could be dangerous!!!!LOL

Come on dude - did you really add gunpowder to the sticks?

Come on dudes!!

Bison/buffalo!!!!

Craig

I have never heard Bison/Buffalo referred to as Gunpowder.  Also it  might be advisable to clarify the fact so some newbie doesn't try adding Gunpowder to his sausage and Poisoning a bunch of people...  You have to remember that some people just starting out in sausage making looks to this forum for guidance and so reading something like that and thinking it was gunpowder and adding it to a recipe could be catastrophic.

Last edited:
I have never heard Bison/Buffalo referred to as Gunpowder.  Also it  might be advisable to clarify the fact so some newbie doesn't try adding Gunpowder to his sausage and Poisoning a bunch of people...  You have to remember that some people just starting out in sausage making looks to this forum for guidance and so reading something like that and thinking it was gunpowder and adding it to a recipe could be catastrophic.
Dang Nab It!!!!!!! Anyone know how to get all this gunpowder back into these bullets?

HAHAHA

NO REALLY DO NOT ADD ANY GUN POWDER, SMOKELESS OR PELLETS OF ANY KIND THAT IS USED FOR RE LOADING.

Gun Powder is a SEASONING from the link below. Its called Sure Shot Sids. If you live in the Huntsville Alabama area you can get it from Star Markets.

http://www.newenglandspices.com/Store.html

Normally i dont cut the sticks right away but i wanted to see and taste how the GP SEASONING was in them.

edbc0643_DSC00298.jpg

a9b8313e_DSC00300.jpg

d8cb4176_DSC00302.jpg

2b6307a8_DSC00304.jpg

Gunpowder Seasoning is the container to the left.

b3d1c9f7_DSC00284.jpg

SORRY TO CONFUSE YA'LL

Oh yeah

Buffalo here in North East PA is $7.00 a pound
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

Thanks NEPAS,  you had me worried there for a minute...

You never know what some of the newbies will do, thinking they understand something which they don't so sometimes it needs to be really clear...

After thought edit:

BREAKING NEWS: ATF Seizes Sausage BOMBS...

Last edited:
I didn't know what it was either, but I knew it wasn't Buffalo, because he said he got it from a friend in Alabama.

Aint a lot of Buffalo roaming Alabama.

I thought he was referring to cure #1, because Salt Peter is used in gun powder.

That was a fun game anyway!

Bang sticks look great!

Bear

They do look great that is for sure...  But I would have made a lot more than 1.5# of them...

Oh yeah

Buffalo here in North East PA is $7.00 a pound
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

It is $7.00/lb here in Montana also. But you can put in for a tag to kill one here......not very good odds though. My buddy shot one two years ago, and that thing was a beast. You can shoot a canned animal for around $1600-$3500 depending on the animal....So if you shoot one on the lower end of that....you are looking at around $50-$80/lb depending on fuel prices.........

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky