• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Bang Sticks

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
I got some Gunpowder today from a friend in Alabama. Decided to give it a shot added to some seasoning for 1.5 lbs of sticks.

Here is my add to the meat.

Used up some 20mm collagen i had vac sealed.

Cut and tied both ends and ready for my 6 rack.

In 6 rack, PID set at 130* ramping to 170* with hickory.

Stalled at the normal 134* Meat IT. Open the door to get em going again. Had the door open for less than 30 seconds and look how fast the casing wrinkled from the cold air.

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Are you saying you added GUNPOWDER to your snack sticks???

rdknb

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 23, 2010
Waiting for the added GUNPOWDER answer.  Maybe it is a slang word I do not know

les3176

Master of the Pit
Joined Feb 10, 2009
Yeah i'm puzzled...gunpowder?really...no it has to be some type of slang word for some spice?  wouldn't gunpowder explode in the smoker? Can you even eat gunpowder?.....Don't have gas around a open flame!!!! That could be dangerous!!!!LOL

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Come on dude - did you really add gunpowder to the sticks?

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
I have never heard Bison/Buffalo referred to as Gunpowder.  Also it  might be advisable to clarify the fact so some newbie doesn't try adding Gunpowder to his sausage and Poisoning a bunch of people...  You have to remember that some people just starting out in sausage making looks to this forum for guidance and so reading something like that and thinking it was gunpowder and adding it to a recipe could be catastrophic.

Last edited:

callahan4life

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 20, 2011
I have never heard Bison/Buffalo referred to as Gunpowder.  Also it  might be advisable to clarify the fact so some newbie doesn't try adding Gunpowder to his sausage and Poisoning a bunch of people...  You have to remember that some people just starting out in sausage making looks to this forum for guidance and so reading something like that and thinking it was gunpowder and adding it to a recipe could be catastrophic.
Dang Nab It!!!!!!! Anyone know how to get all this gunpowder back into these bullets?

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
HAHAHA

NO REALLY DO NOT ADD ANY GUN POWDER, SMOKELESS OR PELLETS OF ANY KIND THAT IS USED FOR RE LOADING.

Gun Powder is a SEASONING from the link below. Its called Sure Shot Sids. If you live in the Huntsville Alabama area you can get it from Star Markets.

http://www.newenglandspices.com/Store.html

Normally i dont cut the sticks right away but i wanted to see and taste how the GP SEASONING was in them.

Gunpowder Seasoning is the container to the left.

SORRY TO CONFUSE YA'LL

SFLsmkr1

Legendary Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Oh yeah

Buffalo here in North East PA is $7.00 a pound

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
Thanks NEPAS,  you had me worried there for a minute...

You never know what some of the newbies will do, thinking they understand something which they don't so sometimes it needs to be really clear...

After thought edit:

BREAKING NEWS: ATF Seizes Sausage BOMBS...

Last edited:

czarcastic

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 17, 2011
So, would you say that adding "gunpowder" to your sausage makes it a WMD (Wurst of Mass Deliciousness?)

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I didn't know what it was either, but I knew it wasn't Buffalo, because he said he got it from a friend in Alabama.

Aint a lot of Buffalo roaming Alabama.

I thought he was referring to cure #1, because Salt Peter is used in gun powder.

That was a fun game anyway!

Bang sticks look great!

Bear

beer-b-q

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined May 1, 2007
They do look great that is for sure...  But I would have made a lot more than 1.5# of them...

coffee_junkie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 17, 2009
Oh yeah

Buffalo here in North East PA is $7.00 a pound

It is $7.00/lb here in Montana also. But you can put in for a tag to kill one here......not very good odds though. My buddy shot one two years ago, and that thing was a beast. You can shoot a canned animal for around $1600-$3500 depending on the animal....So if you shoot one on the lower end of that....you are looking at around $50-$80/lb depending on fuel prices.........

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.