Balsamic Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I really like Mediterranean and Tuscan style cuisine. I also love chicken wings. A recipe was formed in my bent and twisted mind.

This recipe is not an authentic recipe from the region, it is just my attempt to use the flavours in making chicken wings.

I preheated my Traeger Timberline to 350 F (176 C). While it was heating, I made my glaze by mixing:

• 8 ml (1 1/2 tsp) Italian seasonings
  • 150 ml (2/3 cup) balsamic vinegar
  • 15 ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
I heated the mixture in a saucepan to bring it to a boil and then let it boil for 3 or 4 minutes to thicken a bit.

Balsamic Wings 01.jpg

I mixed the following for a seasoning mix:

• 5 ml (1 tsp) dried rosemary
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) dried thyme
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) Kosher salt
  • 2 ml (1/2 tsp) coarse ground pepper
I took 420 grams (1 pound) of wings and put them in a bowl with 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil. Toss the wings in the oil. Add the seasoning mix and toss to coat.

Balsamic Wings 02.jpg

Put the wings in the smoker for 25 minutes. Turn the wings and cook to an internal temperature over 170 F. Brush with the glaze and cook for 5 to 10 minutes to set the glaze.

Balsamic Wings 03.jpg

Bring the wings in and toss them with some of the glaze.

Balsamic Wings 08.jpg

Put on a plate and serve.

Balsamic Wings 05.jpg

Balsamic Wings 06.jpg

Balsamic Wings 07.jpg

The Verdict

These caused dissention. People either loved them or were indifferent to them. They are not spicy, sweet like most wings. They have a sweet/sour base from the balsamic and a strong herb hit. Some really liked them but others wanted a more classic wing. However, all were eaten quickly.

I found them to be very tasty. They had the taste I was looking for. They are a pleasant change from the regular fare.

Disco

They sure look good Disco! They had to be packed full of flavors. Not sure it's a profile I would like but would sure try them.

Ryan

They sure look good Disco! They had to be packed full of flavors. Not sure it's a profile I would like but would sure try them.

Ryan
Thanks. They are definitely totally different. I prefer other wings but did enjoy these.

Wow Disco!!
I'm not much on Wings, because of the Price/Meat ratio.
However Yours look Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

They look like they're loaded with flavor Disco! I can't imagine they're being bland. I may have to try these, as I try most of your wing recipes in my neverending journey for different wing flavors. And I love italian/balsamic infused flavorings. Nice work. If I do these, I'll let you know how it went.

they look fantastic Disco!

Thanks, Jim!

Wow Disco!!
I'm not much on Wings, because of the Price/Meat ratio.
However Yours look Awesome!!
Like.

Bear

Most kind Mr Bear!

They look like they're loaded with flavor Disco! I can't imagine they're being bland. I may have to try these, as I try most of your wing recipes in my neverending journey for different wing flavors. And I love italian/balsamic infused flavorings. Nice work. If I do these, I'll let you know how it went.

They have big flavour! I liked them but they are totally different!

I like those flavors as well disco. But I cant help thinking about caprese .some fresh basil/tomato/mottzerella......now my wheels are turning....thanks for sharing. I love doing stuff like this. Not traditional but not far from traditional. Thats how we learn to make new things. I guarantee I would have demolished a plate of those!

I like those flavors as well disco. But I cant help thinking about caprese .some fresh basil/tomato/mottzerella......now my wheels are turning....thanks for sharing. I love doing stuff like this. Not traditional but not far from traditional. Thats how we learn to make new things. I guarantee I would have demolished a plate of those!
Thanks but darn you. Now you have me thinking of Caprese, too! I throw down the gauntlet. We should each come up with a Caprese inspired dish. We can each do a post referring to the other persons and asking for votes. The winner gets to go nya nya!

• Love
Reactions: Sowsage
Thanks but darn you. Now you have me thinking of Caprese, too! I throw down the gauntlet. We should each come up with a Caprese inspired dish. We can each do a post referring to the other persons and asking for votes. The winner gets to go nya nya!
Im game!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Nice work Disco!

My wife does a similar balsamic glaze (she adds red wine) and we put it on lots of stuff and I could see it being very tasty on bird parts. And you are right it’s not the average flavor profile

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky