Ball Tip on the Santa Maria

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Small ball tip roast from a home-grown Dexter heifer.
A very lean cut, and needs to be cooked slow.

Marinated overnight

P1050791.jpeg

Some bondage and then salt and pepper

P1050795.jpeg

Cooked over red oak at 300-250F (7 to 9/10 hand seconds) for 1.25 hours

P1050812.jpeg

Developing some color

P1050824.jpeg

Can't forget the vegetables

P1050827.jpeg

Grilled corn, artichokes, and sweet peppers and onion

P1050829.jpeg

I'm not a big artichoke fan, but the hearts were amazing.

P1050832.jpeg

Ball tip was tender with nice beefy flavor. Could have used a bit more bark.

P1050831.jpeg

Time to eat

P1050835.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P1050791.jpeg
    P1050791.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 4
I like your veggie grates. Am I seeing it right? Are you using rocks to level it up? :emoji_confused:
You're seeing it right. Very observant.
The grate system slants forward so that grease from the V-channel grates can run into the drip tray. But then round things like corn (or hot dogs) will roll off. Hence the rocks. Maybe I should come up with something more elegant than rocks.
I can also put weights on the back of the grates to level them, but that also levels the V-channels.

You're seeing it right. Very observant.
The grate system slants forward so that grease from the V-channel grates can run into the drip tray. But then round things like corn (or hot dogs) will roll off. Hence the rocks. Maybe I should come up with something more elegant than rocks.
I can also put weights on the back of the grates to level them, but that also levels the V-channels.
I kinda figured that since I have a Santa Maria grill myself. It is always fun setting corn or other round objects at a 45* angle hoping they won't just roll off the end.

At some point I plan on trying out a few other grate options like what you have done. I do have a welder so I might have try try something other than a rock. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looks like a great meal and a nice grill. The foil is for easy clean up of the drippings? I recently got a used grill and after some clean up, she is working well. It’s a whole new mindset for fire management. I am enjoying the learning curve, but we still don’t have decent local corn.
E9D64F67-665C-45AC-A447-9A9D1BFF22D7.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks like a fantastic meal. I need more outdoor cooking stuff like I need another hole in my head but I'd like to add a Santa Maria with a rotisserie.

Looks like a great meal and a nice grill. The foil is for easy clean up of the drippings? I recently got a used grill and after some clean up, she is working well. It’s a whole new mindset for fire management. I am enjoying the learning curve, but we still don’t have decent local corn.

Yea, the foil was to catch the roast drippings for gravy. BUT, the meat was so lean there wasn't any.
Congrats on the grill. And yea, open fire cooking has a bit of a learning curve. I'm sure you're enjoying it though, as I am.

Reactions: chp
Fantastic looking set up. And the veggies look astounding! I can't remember the last time I've had grilled corn or artichokes. Congrats on the ride as well!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky