Flank steak and homegrown veggies on wood fired grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
Didn't have any thawed meat so stopped at market and bought a flank steak.
We're used to eating our homegrown Dexter beef, and although this was good, it was a little lacking in beef flavor.

Spinach and asparagus freshly picked from the garden

P4040023.jpeg

Store bought flank steak, dry brined and dusted with homemade guajillo/ancho rub

P4040028.jpeg

Oak fire burning down in the santa maria

P4040032.jpeg

When coals ready, cook flank steak at about 275F (about 40 minutes total)

P4040035.jpeg

When meat partially done, add asparagus and Kalamata olives (seasoned with EVO, salt, garlic)

P4040041.jpeg

When meat about done, sear over high heat and briefly cook spinach (seasoned with EVO, salt, garlic)

P4040044.jpeg

Slice up meat and sprinkle with black Hawaiian salt. A little more done than I wanted but still juicy

P4040052.jpeg

Time to eat. Grilled veggies were great. Meat was good, but lacking the beefy flavor we are used to.

P4040055.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Nice setup with the Santa Maria. It looks like you have a great view to enjoy while grilling!

Fantastic cook . Love the oak cooks with grilled beef . Nice work as always .

Great looking plate. And I totally understand the different taste of meat. We have gotten so used to our meat from Home Place Pastures that commercial meat just doesnt taste the same.

Jim

Thanks everyone.
Spinach on the grill is good with only a slight char, cook fast with constant turning. Toss and coat well with EVO, then throw it in a grilling basket. I wouldn't try smoking it though.

Nice cook! Id be down for a plate for sure!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky