Baker's Dozen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've also noticed that when Meijer previously ran special prices for 2 at xxx price, if you bought one, you'd still get the sale price. Now you have to buy 2 or pay the regular price.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I can function without it if I need to.
I fully agree. I'm quick to pull out the calculator on the phone instead of doing the math, but I know how to if I need to. Laziness. I haven't written in cursive for decades, more of a hodge podge print, mixing upper and lower case in the same word LOL, but it served me at work on a legal pad, was legible and served the purpose and I can read cursive just fine.
If they aren't going to teach the basics, what are they teaching and who's making the call?
My employer did a test many years ago and it showed me "resistant to change".
I'm not resistant to change if there's a reason but not just because someone wants "change".

Reactions: SherryT
I've also noticed that when Meijer previously ran special prices for 2 at xxx price, if you bought one, you'd still get the sale price. Now you have to buy 2 or pay the regular price.
At the Kroger-owned stores here, they will knock $1 off several items. But you have to buy 4 or 5 in order for the savings to kick it.

I haven't written in cursive for decades,
I don't see how you keep from it. I write in cursive every time I write a check, write out holiday cards, or when my signature is required for something. I don't write much else out longhand, though.

I don't see how you keep from it. I write in cursive every time I write a check, write out holiday cards, or when my signature is required for something. I don't write much else out longhand, though.
Checks work just fine printed and my signature is illegible anyway....

Don't mind self checkout, I can do it way faster and get out of the store quicker, which is a win- win.

Ya'll better all sit down for this one...self checkout! F That! One of our local grocery stores just changed to all self check out. I won't go back unless I really need something or it's Sunday and the other store is closed. I don't work there.

Ryan
The stores here have been doing that for a long time. Meijer and Kroger both took out most of their regular checkouts and added self checkouts.
You deal with it or you don't buy groceries......

Ya'll better all sit down for this one...self checkout! F That! One of our local grocery stores just changed to all self check out. I won't go back unless I really need something or it's Sunday and the other store is closed. I don't work there.

Ryan
I prefer self checkout. I'm not stuck in line at the first of the month with someone in line in front of me with a cart that is overflowing onto the floor.

Wait till that 12oz beer becomes 10oz. People will take to the streets.
Fortunately that doesn't look to be the trend. When I was in undergraduate school we would buy cheap party beer for $1 a six pack.

Now, they want to charge $12 to $15 for a six. They know we can't do without our beer.

The stores here have been doing that for a long time. Meijer and Kroger both took out most of their regular checkouts and added self checkouts.
You deal with it or you don't buy groceries......
Meijer shop and and scan on the app is good too. Scan your stuff with your phone as you put it in your cart, and just scan the QR to the register.

Ryan
Seems to be the trend. My stores have about 9 or 10 check out lanes--only 2 of which ever seem to be manned. You can wait in a long line until your ice cream melts, or move to self-checkout. If someone asks if I want to self-check, I usually tell them, "No. I don't work here."

Lemme see if i got this straight. Some would rather pay increased grocery prices to support the $15/hour minimum wage taking hold, rather than scanning your own stuff. While I agree that we shouldn't have to, this is the reality of it.

Lemme see if i got this straight. Some would rather pay increased grocery prices to support the $15/hour minimum wage taking hold, rather than scanning your own stuff. While I agree that we shouldn't have to, this is the reality of it.
Actually I would. The prices are going to be what they'll be no matter how you check out.
I'll pay a few dollars more to have someone working for a living check me out.
$15 an hour isn't much these days and standing on your feet for hours isn't fun....

I can easily go to the other grocery store...where I almost always go to anyway...they have 0 self checkouts, and still take groceries to your car, the guys look respectable...white shirts, black ties. Maybe eventually I'll have to deal with it but not now. Besides, I don't mind standing in line visiting with others.

Ryan

Meijer shop and and scan on the app is good too. Scan your stuff with your phone as you put it in your cart, and just scan the QR to the register.

Kind of hard to do with a rotatory phone.

How about watching a younger person trying to figure out how much change you get back at the mom-n-pop store.

Chris

Funny I've never seen a discount for using self check out so I kind of just see it as more profit for the store. I did not sign up to work there.

Here's another one that has gone crazy used to be the jugs of cooking oil came in 5 gallon jugs it's now 3 gallons. I needed some for my fryer to fry the turkey peanut oil was 48 bucks for 3 gal. "fryer oil was 46 for 3 gals unless my math fails me that's over 15 bucks per gallon dang we just thought gas and diesel were high

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I can easily go to the other grocery store...where I almost always go to anyway...they have 0 self checkouts, and still take groceries to your car, the guys look respectable...white shirts, black ties. Maybe eventually I'll have to deal with it but not now. Besides, I don't mind standing in line visiting with others.

Ryan

I just had a flashback to enjoying the simple pleasure of having an attendant pump my gas and wash my windshield...ding-ding.

Sighhhhhhhhhhh

My wife only wants the self checkout. She doesn't like the can goods in with the bread and other heavy stuff in with the chips. They also thing their 2lb test bags will hold 15lbs of groceries.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky