Baker's Dozen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Actually I would. The prices are going to be what they'll be no matter how you check out.
I'll pay a few dollars more to have someone working for a living check me out.
$15 an hour isn't much these days and standing on your feet for hours isn't fun....
Alright, we'll agree to disagree. Cashier and fast food work used to be a means to an end. Something to earn money while in college or trade school while learning skills needed for making a living. Now it is supposed to be a means of earning one.

Reactions: SmokyMose
I make my own mayo.
Mill most of my own flours (red wheat, white wheat, whole oat, barley, etc).
Bake my own bread products.
Bag my own groceries.
Roast my own coffee beans.
Grind most of our own sausage.
Cook almost all our own food.
De-lactose most of our own milk products.

Rising prices and companies downsizing product containers pretty much caused all of the above one way or another. And what I make is more natural and tastes better than what I can buy.

I've got a beer-making kit I've never used. Might have to change that.

Now, if I could only figure a way to legally distill and age my own 4-grain whiskey.

Reactions: halleoneagain
Does that fall under the gray area? It would just be organic right?

Ryan
Somehow I don't think the government sees it quite that way, but I really see no reason why beer and wine are legal to make, but not spirits.

Somehow I don't think the government sees it quite that way, but I really see no reason why beer and wine are legal to make, but not spirits.
Not a big fan of how they see anything. I've worked in a government job...first order of business...throw common sense out the window! Now where did I leave that big copper thingy! Lol

Ryan

Reactions: DougE
I pay attention to the UPC, price per unit.

I do most of my shopping in the Fort Drum commissary.

Recently they introduced a "Patriot's Choice" brand, advertised as a savings.

They lie.

Costs more than the same size brand-name items.

Don't piss on my back and tell me it is raining....

Reactions: SherryT
Alright, we'll agree to disagree. Cashier and fast food work used to be a means to an end. Something to earn money while in college or trade school while learning skills needed for making a living. Now it is supposed to be a means of earning one.
We can agree to disagree and still be friends, right ;-)
I felt the same about it 4 years ago but in my mind things have changed some.

They used to teach those sorts of things in Jr. High when I was a kid; how to keep a checkbook, make a household budget, etc.
Talk about teaching life skills, my middle school granddaughter, she's 13, is being taught how to write a resume, fill out a job application, and what to do in a job interview. They actually had a competition at school where 40 kids participated and she's made it to the top 10. The top 5 will actually get to experience an interview with reps from the local Chick-fil-A, but not for a real job, of course...

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Talk about teaching life skills, my middle school granddaughter, she's 13, is being taught how to write a resume, fill out a job application, and what to do in a job interview. They actually had a competition at school where 40 kids participated and she's made it to the top 10. The top 5 will actually get to experience an interview with reps from the local Chick-fil-A, but not for a real job, of course...
Hopefully a free sandwich at least! Don't know if they are any good...never have eaten at one. Or know where the closest one is.

Ryan

Hopefully a free sandwich at least! Don't know if they are any good...never have eaten at one. Or know where the closest one is.

Ryan
I don't eat fast food very often at all, too expensive, but when I do, it's Chick-fil-A because they do it right. There's many reasons why they're the #1 fast food chain in America. Customer service is second to none, they treat their employees well, the food is good, they are great community supporters, AND they're closed on Sundays for a day of rest and worship if that's what their employees are inclined to do. There's always a double line around the corner for the drive through waiting to order.

Probably a free sandwich will be coming in the future.

I just had a flashback to enjoying the simple pleasure of having an attendant pump my gas and wash my windshield...ding-ding.

Sighhhhhhhhhhh
I want to pump my own and I will also wash my own windshield.

My wife only wants the self checkout. She doesn't like the can goods in with the bread and other heavy stuff in with the chips. They also thing their 2lb test bags will hold 15lbs of groceries.
At least you can get bags, they are outlawed here in Lower NY. You either bring your own or buy theirs. Even if you have a person checking your groceries out they typically will not bag for you anymore.

I just had a flashback to enjoying the simple pleasure of having an attendant pump my gas and wash my windshield...ding-ding.

Sighhhhhhhhhhh
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but New Jersey doesn't allow self service gas stations, may be other states, too...

I won't tell if you don't. I don't do it but have known a few moonshiners over the years.
That made me laugh. I haven't had "shine" since HS in TN. Was NOT impressed. A lot of the MGP-sourced "craft" whiskies are only a tad better

If the bourbon and whisky producers cut their bottles to 700ml, like those in Europe, I'll become a teetoteller, or start buying barrels!

How about watching a younger person trying to figure out how much change you get back at the mom-n-pop store.
That's almost a sport around here, especially at McDonald's. I even seen their managers fumble with basic math. Wish they'd just believe me when I give them the correct answer in about 1 second.

I make my own mayo.
Mill most of my own flours (red wheat, white wheat, whole oat, barley, etc).
Bake my own bread products.
Bag my own groceries.
Roast my own coffee beans.
Grind most of our own sausage.
Cook almost all our own food.
De-lactose most of our own milk products.

Rising prices and companies downsizing product containers pretty much caused all of the above one way or another. And what I make is more natural and tastes better than what I can buy.

I've got a beer-making kit I've never used. Might have to change that.

Now, if I could only figure a way to legally distill and age my own 4-grain whiskey.
Good for you, noboundaries! Wish I had time to make more of my own stuff. Do try that beer making kit, though. I had a cheapo Mr. Beer kit that made surprisingly good stuff when I started buying craft hops and yeasts for it at a local brewers supply.

Nice to see that, GonnaSmoke. Resume writing is a critical skill.
As to Chick-fil-A, we've only recently gotten a few stores here in WA state, and the car lines go out into the streets. People must like them, but I've tried it, and I have to say, I've had better. Popeye's is still tops for fast-food chicken sandwiches, imo.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but New Jersey doesn't allow self service gas stations, may be other states, too...
Oregon has been that way, also. I've been pumping my own gas for so long, it always seems weird when I visit my folks down there. I think they're just now starting to let some stations do it.
Remember when you could get Green Stamps, a set of steak knives, or toys with a fill up?

Reactions: noboundaries
I won't tell if you don't. I don't do it but have known a few moonshiners over the years.
legal in WA State to do a small amount at home.
That is why god made the Turbo 500.
Walk into a beer supply store and wonder what all those 50 lb bags of sugar are for!

That's almost a sport around here, especially at McDonald's. I even seen their managers fumble with basic math. Wish they'd just believe me when I give them the correct answer in about 1 second.

Good for you, noboundaries! Wish I had time to make more of my own stuff. Do try that beer making kit, though. I had a cheapo Mr. Beer kit that made surprisingly good stuff when I started buying craft hops and yeasts for it at a local brewers supply.

Nice to see that, GonnaSmoke. Resume writing is a critical skill.
As to Chick-fil-A, we've only recently gotten a few stores here in WA state, and the car lines go out into the streets. People must like them, but I've tried it, and I have to say, I've had better. Popeye's is still tops for fast-food chicken sandwiches, imo.

Oregon has been that way, also. I've been pumping my own gas for so long, it always seems weird when I visit my folks down there. I think they're just now starting to let some stations do it.
Remember when you could get Green Stamps, a set of steak knives, or toys with a fill up?
S&H Green Stamps!

Oh yeah!! I remember going to the S&H store with my parents to pick out something. It was always an event to go to town.

Yup downsizing has been going on for a while. Even the propane exchange company here has stopped 20lb bottles they are now 15lb bottles also raised the price. Same size 20lber just 15lbs in them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky