Baker's Dozen

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Who remembers that? Those days are long gone now with so many companies downsizing their products, but keeping the price the same. It's a way to make more money without going up on the price. Sugar used to come in a 5 lb. bag, now 4 lbs. Smoked sausage was in 1 lb. packs, now 12-14 oz. with some brands selling 11 oz. packs. Canned vegetables were 16 oz., now 14 oz. or so. The list goes on and on.

Well now my favorite mayonnaise, Duke's, has joined the party. I believe that they were the last holdout, but now what was a quart is 30 oz. and the price is still the same.

How long before a dozen eggs is 11 or 10? A pound of butter is 14 oz. or less?

OK, that's enough of that...

Majority of consumers don't even examine weights. All they see is a bag of sugar, etc. With Gatorade, used to be 32 oz, now 28oz and up price by pennies. Multiply those pennies and them scumbags are raking it in. But advertising increases so the sheeple buy more.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
It's also a reason why you see common products with a sign that says " Discontinued " Because they have to change the package .

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I'm pretty sure it started with ice cream going from a half gallon tub to 1.5 quarts. I just checked a package of bacon I purchased last week and it was still a pound. We have a package of flour bought for Tday and it's still 5lbs.

Chris

Not sure how many of you ever had or saw them...but the big tins of Schwanns ice cream, think they were 2 1/2 gallons and was so good! Based out of MN. I just looked...1.5 quarts.

Ryan

Damn, that 5 pack of beer I just bought is going to screw up my night!
Don't laugh to loud Cliff. I just bought a 4 pack of some IPA for my SIL this past Tday and it was 15.00 dollars. Holy cow that's almost an 18 pack of my PBRs or 11 of my Genny tall boys.

Chris

Don't laugh to loud Cliff. I just bought a 4 pack of some IPA for my SIL this past Tday and it was 15.00 dollars. Holy cow that's almost an 18 pack of my PBRs or 11 of my Genny tall boys.

Chris
I have spent $26 on a 4 pack a couple years ago. The juice bomb IPA 12 pack (12oz) is $27. Hell I just bought a full case of 16oz Mich Ultras and was $52 after tax and bottle deposits....I won't touch PBR or any Genny product.

Yet when my son comes in from NH I can get a 1.75 L of Bombay Saphire gin for $30 and a 1.75L of Stoli Vodka for $24 and no tax.

I have spent $26 on a 4 pack a couple years ago. The juice bomb IPA 12 pack (12oz) is $27. Hell I just bought a full case of 16oz Mich Ultras and was $52 after tax and bottle deposits....I won't touch PBR or any Genny product.

Yet when my son comes in from NH I can get a 1.75 L of Bombay Saphire gin for $30 and a 1.75L of Stoli Vodka for $24 and no tax.
$26 Wowsers. I don't drink liquor but some of my friends make the trip to NH for their booze. The horse that makes Michs must have been sick. It's the only beer that gives me a hangover - even if I only drink one.

Just grabbed two 12ers of Rolling Rock from Total Wine for $8.99 each and see Walmart lowered their price back down to that, probably to compete. Pays to shop around. RAY
I used to roll the rock in my younger days. Around here if I want to make an extra stop at one of our pharmacies I can get beer cheaper then the local grocers.

Chris

Not sure how many of you ever had or saw them...but the big tins of Schwanns ice cream, think they were 2 1/2 gallons and was so good! Based out of MN. I just looked...1.5 quarts.

Ryan
The Schwanns truck stopped coming around here a few years ago. They had some pretty good frozen foods.

Chris

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Wait till that 12oz beer becomes 10oz. People will take to the streets.
I have this Old Milwaukee can that's probably from the early 70s and it is 14 oz.
20221129_104756[1].jpg

Ryan
Live less than 30 miles from Schwan's headquarters, so know them well. company never was the same after the founder Marvin Schwan passed away.

I'm pretty sure it started with ice cream going from a half gallon tub to 1.5 quarts. I just checked a package of bacon I purchased last week and it was still a pound. We have a package of flour bought for Tday and it's still 5lbs.

Chris
You do have to watch the bacon size, lots of 12 oz packages around me.

Ah the kind you could make chains out of.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky