• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Baked potatoe issue

cansmoke

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 21, 2012
I often "bake" potatoes in the smoker and am noticing that while the meat (tonight was meatloaf) is done, the potatoes are a bit underdone.
I use an MES 30 and it seems not to matter is the potatoes are on the track above the meat or below.
I rub the potatoes with olive oil and kosher salt.

h8that4u

Smoke Blower
Joined Jul 4, 2014
I always microwave my taters for 5 mins before they go on the grill or smoker. Wash, stick with fork a few times, microwave, then oil, salt/pepper wrap with foil and on to grill or smoker.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Baking Potatoes are like Pork Butts. They are tender when the IT hits 205. I never timed it because we don't care for Smoked Potatoes. As a above, starting in the Microwave saves time...JJ

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jul 1, 2019
Don't wrap the taters as the steam can't escape. Steaming is very different than baking. The starches seem to convert differently when baking wrapped vs unwrapped resulting in a better texture.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 12, 2010
Yep.... Nekkid baked spuds are very fluffy.... none of that "pasty" texture...

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.