Baked potatoe issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
I often "bake" potatoes in the smoker and am noticing that while the meat (tonight was meatloaf) is done, the potatoes are a bit underdone.
I use an MES 30 and it seems not to matter is the potatoes are on the track above the meat or below.
I rub the potatoes with olive oil and kosher salt.

I always microwave my taters for 5 mins before they go on the grill or smoker. Wash, stick with fork a few times, microwave, then oil, salt/pepper wrap with foil and on to grill or smoker.

Baking Potatoes are like Pork Butts. They are tender when the IT hits 205. I never timed it because we don't care for Smoked Potatoes. As a above, starting in the Microwave saves time...JJ

Don't wrap the taters as the steam can't escape. Steaming is very different than baking. The starches seem to convert differently when baking wrapped vs unwrapped resulting in a better texture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky