Bad Seal on Draft Door

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DLP4412

Original poster
Apr 18, 2020
I bought a Kamado Joe and really regret it. Terrible experience so far. The store I bought it from refuses to take it back. I have had it less than 3 weeks and it still hasn't been used. Looks like I'm stuck with it unless I can find a buyer. One of my issues is the sealant around the draft door looks like Swiss cheese. I can't believe I have to make a repair to a 1200 grill out of the box. But, I'm kind of curious if anyone knows specifically what type of sealant to use around the draft door?

If the KJ's are like the Big Green Eggs.... it's just high temp silicone applied to the top and bottom of the door before you install the screws. It's just ugly right, not loose or leaking? I would be tempted to leave it be and contact the home office directly with your complaint.

IMG_20200619_092250.jpg

This is one of about 3 spots. I haven't used it yet but I can see right through the grill. I'm assuming once I fire it up smoke will be coming out

If you can see through the gap you don't have a good seal. However the problem won't be smoke coming out of those spots, this is on the intake vent and during use it will be open anyway.... the problem will be when you shut down the KJ, a little air gap might not allow the fire to die as fast as normal. The beauty of any kamado is the ability to re-use your lump charcoal. Like I said, if the dealer is not cooperating, call the home office.

That looks like high temp silicone sealant.... silicone will NOT stick to silicone.... you will have to remove all of the old stuff to seal up with new silicone... I think Goo Gone will remove silicone.. If I remember correctly..

Go to the web site and start a warranty claim. I think, with the Covid-19, that they are running minimal staff and just doing claims through online support.

I bought a Kamado Joe and really regret it. Terrible experience so far. The store I bought it from refuses to take it back. I have had it less than 3 weeks and it still hasn't been used. Looks like I'm stuck with it unless I can find a buyer. One of my issues is the sealant around the draft door looks like Swiss cheese. I can't believe I have to make a repair to a 1200 grill out of the box. But, I'm kind of curious if anyone knows specifically what type of sealant to use around the draft door?

On what grounds are they refusing to take it back?

I'd raise enough hell that they'd beg me to take it back. I'd post up the name of the seller on social media, and get the 6:00 news involved if they pissed me off badly enough, and show the viewing public what their $1200.00 grill that they refused to take back looked like.

By the time I got done, yes, admittedly they might still not take it back.

But I would have done enough damage to have made it considerably not worth the effort for them to play hardball with me.

I'm not a big believer in fixing a manufacturer's screw ups. But if you are so inclined, well a bead of silicone caulk would do it.

Easy to do. But it's just the principal. I'd take it right back or demand some concessions, but I understand that not all are willing to do that.

That said, you can find posts indicating that KJ is running behind on warranty claims now due to Covid19.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky