Bacon wrapped onion rings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man they look sooo good !
Jeff also did a version and I keep planning to try it but haven't yet. But it's on for this weekend ....hopefully !

Keith

Reactions: negolien
Slices of bell peppers work good too. They stay a little crunchy.
hT9834U.jpg

They are awesome! We've made them before, but do take some time to build and disappear in a heartbeat! I recommend not turning away from a plateful of them...it'll magically empty itself.

Ryan

Did those a couple of weeks ago.
Like Jake said, they are a lot of work, and I can’t believe how much bacon it takes to wrap around an onion ring!
Al
That was my experience as well. I made them once, enjoyed them, but found wrapping the onion rings so tedious that I've not been tempted to make them a second time.
Still happily wrapping bacon around lots of other things, though!

Did those a couple of weeks ago.
Like Jake said, they are a lot of work, and I can’t believe how much bacon it takes to wrap around an onion ring!
Al
That was my experience as well. I made them once, enjoyed them, but found wrapping the onion rings so tedious that I've not been tempted to make them a second time.
Still happily wrapping bacon around lots of other things, though!
There is a better way to deal with the bacon issue. Skip the thin sliced see-through bacon, it cooks too fast for an ABT or onion/pepper ring. Start with a thick slice of bacon and cover it with wax paper or clear wrap. Pound it, adding width and length (and this makes it slightly sticky so it bonds to itself). Here is a before and after.
kOxUlYT.jpg
These rings only needed one slice of the 'pounded' bacon.
hT9834U.jpg
If I recall the ABT's took 2/3 of a slice and I used the rest as cap for the mini peppers.
bIChgKG.jpg

There is a better way to deal with the bacon issue. Skip the thin sliced see-through bacon, it cooks too fast for an ABT or onion/pepper ring. Start with a thick slice of bacon and cover it with wax paper or clear wrap. Pound it, adding width and length (and this makes it slightly sticky so it bonds to itself). Here is a before and after.
View attachment 522651
View attachment 522652
If I recall the ABT's took 2/3 of a slice and I used the rest as cap for the mini peppers.
View attachment 522653

Thanks for the tip!
I think I used about 2 1/2 slices per ring.
Will try your method the next time I do ABT’S or rings!
Al

these are great onion rings, but wrapping them can be a PITA... Last batch I made the bacon was working against me the whole time. tasted great, looked like **s.

View attachment 522651
View attachment 522652
View attachment 522653
Awesome tip thirdeye thirdeye !! I like to use a rolling pin... I do the same after making a bacon weave for a fattie.. Really helps helps make a tight weave!

Reactions: thirdeye
I did these last year a couple times as well after seeing someone on here do them. Loved them! I also did just thick slices of onion wrapped in bacon, smoked and then used as a burger topper. Killer!

View attachment 522651
View attachment 522652
View attachment 522653

You are smarter than the average cooky, or smoky. Whatever.
Thanks for the tip. :emoji_thumbsup:

I seen someone take two slices of onion ring and put meat in between then wrap in bacon too LOL. Neat to see differant sides people come up with to beat the same ole same ole sides

I make these once in awhile. Yeah they are a pain. Tip is to freeze the onion slices completely. They hold shape better when wrapping with the bacon.
Take out of the freezer one at a time, wrap, and back into freezer.
Sorry, no photos to post. They are all at home.
Hey All,

Saw Suzzie posted this again thought I would share. Wonder if you could bread it as final step and crisp it somehow too? I love onions rings. Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings - Hey Grill, Hey (heygrillhey.com)
I frequently use store bought breaded rings. Nathan's and Red Robin brands work great for me. Do not use rings made from minced onion.
Again keep frozen and wrap with bacon.

There is a better way to deal with the bacon issue. Skip the thin sliced see-through bacon, it cooks too fast for an ABT or onion/pepper ring. Start with a thick slice of bacon and cover it with wax paper or clear wrap. Pound it, adding width and length (and this makes it slightly sticky so it bonds to itself).
I've pounded thick cut bacon. I've also had decent luck with some of the cheap stuff.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky