Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donegotfat

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri
Its a wolf in fatty's clothing! ERRR meatloaf in fatty's clothing

OK, after seeing a smoked meatloaf done by "miller51"earlier this week , I decided what this weekends smoke would be!

Followed a general recipe that was a hybrid between about 4-5 others I read on the site and my own that I use when making a smaller loaf in the oven.

1LB. Ground Chuck 80/20

1LB. Breakfast Sausage (regular, not hot)

Bacon

1/2 Cup Minced White Onion

1/2 Cup Green onion (We cal them Scallion's)

1/4 Cup Celery

1 Cup Bread Crumbs (Corn Bread)

2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce

2 Tbsp Ketchup

1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce

2-3 Tbsp BBQ Rub (Killer Hogs Barbecue "THE BBQ RUB") Wife wanted less heat, this one seemed a nice option for foods that I cant get away with a bit of heat like a Pork Butt

1/2 Cup Buttermilk

2 Eggs

Saute onions and celery with a Tbsp on olive oil

Mix bread crumbs with buttermilk and eggs

combine all ingredients into large bowl. Do not over mix as advised or your meatloaf will be tough.

It can be placed on smoker at this point as is in a small foil pan, foil boat, grill topper, mesh grill matt, ets. If placed into pan you will get less smoke so pulling it from the pan after it sets, or cutting the sides of the pan open will help get better smoke.

In my case after mixing and shaping into a loaf, I wrapped it in a bacon lattice/weave. (My wife made the weave, and insisted that she get the credit in this post
police2.gif
)

Next I dusted it with a small touch of the BBQ rub

Wrapped it up in plastic wrap to allow the flavors to blend a bit better, then headed out to set up smoker and get it to temp.

Placed it on the smoker at 225, and from seeing others topics it will take approximately 4-5 hours to reach 160.

I will be pulling mine at 150-155 and then letting it rest for 30-45 mins and it will help redistribute the juices and raise the heat a bit.

The bacon weave is ready, and the loaf is set in place.

Got it wrapped and will now put it in plastic wrap for a few.

Once the smoker was up to temp, and I had a nice TBS rolling from my AMNTS 12". NOTE: This time I used gloves, as the burn from last weekend has just now healed
biggrin.gif

Using a mix of Hickory and Apple pellets from Todd.

Added a bit of apple juice to a small pan, seems to help and I dont have to spray or mop, not sure if its needed on this one or more just for bigger meats, but i didint want to jinx it

Its about an hour and a half in, temp it at 95.

Looking tasty already
yahoo.gif

I know, peeking isn't smoking!... But I knew the apple juice tray would be about empty and needed to add a bit more.

Ill post back more after its finished.

Last edited:
Looks good and nice recipe. I do a similar recipe with a pack of Lipton Onion soup instead of onion and rub. I like to play and would give yours a shot but I hear, " We like your's...Why do you have to change it? "...JJ

At 3 hours she is up to 140 degrees.

It was time to start something to go with it.

"Fat Boys BBQ Beans"

1 Can Steakhouse Recipe from Bush's Best Beans

1/4 Rack (4 Bones) Smoked St. Louis Cut Ribs

2 Tbsp BBQ Sauce

2 Tbsp Ketchup

1-2 Tbsp BBQ Rub

Stripped the meat off the bones from the last 1/4 rack of ribs left from last weekends smoke.

Cut them up into small pieces.

Added them and other ingredients to the beans.

Put them on a low simmer, covered, on the stove till the meat gets done.

No shrinkage on the loaf noticed, close to being ready to pull. Smoke ended at just the right time, and it took all my strength to not sneak a piece of the bacon corner off of it
police.gif

The next time I make it I will try it without bacon. Some smoke made it to the loaf, but most was on the bacon.. Still dang good!

Here some of the money shots!

About 5 minutes before I pulled it, I basted on some BBQ sauce. Pulled it at 158 and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

It ended up super tender and juicy!

Close up shot

Plated and ready

We also had mashed potatoes and corn, one of these days Ill eat some of my vegetables
police2.gif

Thanks for looking.

Reactions: xray and SmokinAl
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky