Bacon with some heat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill ace 350

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
Picked up 12 pounds of pork belly from the commissary yesterday.

Going to use Pop's Brine this time, but will add a teaspoon of Mad Dog 357 hot sauce. For a little heat.

I can use the teaspoon as a reference for future attempts. Can increase or decrease based on how this comes out.

Will cure for 10 days, dry in the refrigerator for a day or so then cold smoke. Will go for 4 trays of hickory and apple mix.

Smoke with one tray, rest in refrigerator 12-24 hours, repeat until all trays used.

Obviously temperature dependent. If temps cooperate, I'll stick to the plan. If not ill adapt.

Hoping the hot sauce adds the flavor im looking for.

Just throwing this out there.....If you want an independent tester I'm here for you. :emoji_laughing: Sounds like a good start.
Jim
Have had great results with both Pop's and Bearcarver's methods....

Both have their pros and cons(both excellent, don't get me wrong ) when it comes to customization of the recipe.

In this case, i think Pop's is the way to go...

In any event, i'm looking forward to sampling.

Reactions: JLeonard
Let us know how it turns out. Sounds interesting and good.

Chris

Picked up 12 pounds of pork belly from the commissary yesterday.

Going to use Pop's Brine this time, but will add a teaspoon of Mad Dog 357 hot sauce. For a little heat.

I can use the teaspoon as a reference for future attempts. Can increase or decrease based on how this comes out.

Will cure for 10 days, dry in the refrigerator for a day or so then cold smoke. Will go for 4 trays of hickory and apple mix.

Smoke with one tray, rest in refrigerator 12-24 hours, repeat until all trays used.

Obviously temperature dependent. If temps cooperate, I'll stick to the plan. If not ill adapt.

Hoping the hot sauce adds the flavor im looking for.
Not a fan of Mad Dog I've tried but interesting to know what will come of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: bill ace 350
The Mad dig didn't have any discernable flavor to me, just an unpleasant level of hot. Used a very small amount in some Manhattan clam chowder.

I think ill skip the hot sauce trial this go around.

Time and other obligations got to me. Just pit the bellies in Pops Brine 10 minutes ago.

The sell by date was yesterday. Will i be ok? Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky