Bacon on a Stick, Spare Ribs and Smoked Mac and Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
What you see below is NOT a rack of ribs... it's Black Peppered Bacon On a Stick!

20210529_144036.jpg

20210529_150540.jpg

The St Louis cut rack of ribs was cured using Pops Wet Curing Brine and smoked on the Pit Boss Vertical Smoker along with @Cold Iron 's No Boil Smoked Mac and Cheese (the only recipe you should even consider using) as well as a full rack of spare ribs... proving that smoked food doesn't have to be blackened to be be delicious!

20210529_143440.jpg

20210529_143449.jpg

20210529_144011.jpg

20210529_152303.jpg

Nice; Had Some maple bacon-on-a-stick's last night, and am smoking some beautiful (!) bacon steaks tomorrow.

Real hard to go back to any other way, IMO.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Looks perfect. I dry rub, but Pop’s brine works well enough.

Pops Brine does work... I'm a big fan! I've had success with dry curing but much more so with Pops recipe.. wish he was still around to see all the people using his methods with such success

Reactions: jaxgatorz
Looks good. I’ve been meaning to try this. A buddy of mine up in Canada tells me a restaurants pitmaster near him does these as his specialty.

Last edited:
Looks good. I’ve been meaning to try this. A buddy of mine up in Canada tells me a restaurant and o toaster near him does these as his specialty.

Go for it!

Looks good. I’ve been meaning to try this. A buddy of mine up in Canada tells me a restaurant and o toaster near him does these as his specialty.

mapleham2.jpg

You will not be disappointed, to say the least! They are so thin that overnight should do it (above were 2 day, but I think 3 is perfect). & If you ever shallow/deep fry, and can spare (lol) one, breading and deep-frying the leftovers is pretty awesome, too.

kilo charlie kilo charlie
Do you use Pop's regular brine and/or ratios (2:1 sugar to salt)?? At this point I've done dozens of various trials, but am still trying to find just the right spot for my tastes. I know I like it closer to 1:1, 1c each per gallon of water with only brown or raw sugar, but still isn't QUITE perfect.

i like some black/white pepper in the brine, too; comes through much more than chile heat/flavor, outside of times I've used a few whole dried chiles (which was delicious)

View attachment 498044

You will not be disappointed, to say the least! They are so thin that overnight should do it (above were 2 day, but I think 3 is perfect). & If you ever shallow/deep fry, and can spare (lol) one, breading and deep-frying the leftovers is pretty awesome, too.

kilo charlie kilo charlie
Do you use Pop's regular brine and/or ratios (2:1 sugar to salt)?? At this point I've done dozens of various trials, but am still trying to find just the right spot for my tastes. I know I like it closer to 1:1, 1c each per gallon of water with only brown or raw sugar, but still isn't QUITE perfect.

i like some black/white pepper in the brine, too; comes through much more than chile heat/flavor, outside of times I've used a few whole dried chiles (which was delicious)

I've tried various alterations with the salt and sugar ratios.. I have actually made a chart of the weights of table salt, kosher salt, white and brown sugars etc so that I'm always going by weights and not cups.

I feel like not only does everyone have a different taste, but different cuts and different meats need a little something different. I'm not doing it every day to really keep track but chicken wings could use a little bit less salt than say a chuck roast.

As far as spice.. I have gotten good results with say a pickling spice blend but the juice out of a jar of Jalapeños works well too.

Reactions: Hamdrew
WOW those look great Charlie ! And gotta try that mac & cheese
The Mac and Cheese is delicious!! The best recipe I've tried so far. I've made many along the way and a few that were not successful. This version is amazing.

I used 8oz sharp cheddar, 4oz of Pepper jack and 4oz of Velveeta

Here's the recipe for those that don't want to click the link above

Cold Iron's No Boil Mac and Cheese

2 1/2 cups of uncooked elbow noodles
3/4 stick butter
12 ounces yellow cheddar cheese, shred a brick it melts better and less oil
4 oz. Velveeta cheese to make it creamier
5 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper

2.5 hours at 240. Careful not to over cook. Stir 3 times toward the end.

Here's a photo of when it first goes in the smoker

20210529_120614.jpg

Reactions: HalfSmoked
It’s been a while since I’ve done ribs that way, but my next rack will be cured for sure. I prefer a dry cure, but have used Pops brine in the past. Everything you made looks delicious!
Al

It’s been a while since I’ve done ribs that way, but my next rack will be cured for sure. I prefer a dry cure, but have used Pops brine in the past. Everything you made looks delicious!
Al

Thank you!

Awesome looking cook and a great post. I too use pops brine and your mac and cheese sounds great.

Warren

Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky