Bacon Jam

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Good Evening

We’ve been prepping Christmas gifts to share with friends. To add to the collection, we made a big batch of bacon jam. This stuff is fangeroiaky

The guidance for this recipe came from some help that Steve H Steve H gave me last year, when I tried making bacon jam for the first time. The finished product was put into small half pint jars for gifting.

Four ponds of bacon goodness was the foundation, followed up with 5 onions, a lot of shallots, maple syrup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, splash of balsamic vinegar, garlic, a little The BBQ Rub, and chili powder. Low and slow cooking over a couple of hours.

0AD306E5-81B5-4C9F-BAAA-7CFAE9F0DA44.jpeg

E254AA5D-5B90-405A-9C05-E58CC3199227.jpeg

2B98EAA4-79F4-4EFD-8176-EA0927091779.jpeg

69F0894E-D8B3-499A-A5CB-568092C0F376.jpeg

E20EF163-E15F-4835-ADBF-220F3A1E0E76.jpeg

8BCE4C6A-49E1-4ECE-9077-75D39C5E2815.jpeg

2418E8E1-B90A-4BF7-A4B1-E9470E541213.jpeg

man all mighty- I could just DIVE into that---I can't leave this pcture. I am like drawn to it...someone has control of my brain

Last edited:
Here are some of the mini jars that we have portioned it out in. Hopefully these will get delivered today with some other meat goodies.

CE385BD9-13E1-41AF-80A2-73E2590F56E5.jpeg

Reactions: Steve H
Looks good! Those little mason jars are perfect for this. My only complaint is that I can never get them back when they're empty!

I've seen countless recipes for bacon jam, but haven't tried it yet.

Might have to rethink that...it looks delicious!

I've never tried Bacon Jam. Looks good but I don't know....JJ

I've seen countless recipes for bacon jam, but haven't tried it yet.

Might have to rethink that...it looks delicious!

Thank you. It is definitely worth the try.

I've never tried Bacon Jam. Looks good but I don't know....JJ

Thank you. It is great...seems a little weird, but so tasty. Made another batch (along with a batch of apple butter) this evening to top off homemade biscuits on Christmas morning.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Apple Butter on Biscuits! That sounds good...JJ

Reactions: illini40
Obviously I want to make this too, but am a little challenged.

5 onions,
a lot of shallots, (1/3 - 1/2 the volume of the onions?)
* carmelized till brown, not burnt
then chopped garlic for (I'm guessing a minute or so) till you can smell it. I think the garlic is the white hunks, so maybe 4 cloves?

then:
4 lbs of bacon, (maple bacon? or is that too much?)

can you give us ballpark amounts?

maple syrup,
brown sugar,
apple cider vinegar,
splash of balsamic vinegar,
a little The BBQ Rub, and
chili powder.

Low and slow cooking over a couple of hours

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky