Bacon ~ Foamheart ( Experimental)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BTW, I tasted the sausage today. I believe its the best I have ever made and possibly the best I have ever tasted.

Spice was perfect, a very slight suggestion of heat when eatting which builds for five mins after eatting. Not uncomfortable at all, but warm. The Amephos gives it a little twang which I have not noticed before........ I LIKE it! I also tried with this sausage with a bit of cure. The manufacturer of the this sausage said he had just incorporated it in his also. I can't say I noticed the cure taste or texture at all. Amazing.

That is Good stuff. I am so happy you guys goated me into trying making sausage. Believe me you better be a GREAT cajun cook to beat me now with my own sausage & Andouille.

I am now getting folks wanting to purchase my "tender" andouille, and some guy came by the house the other day and wanted to BUY boudin!  I didn't know him nor did I have any. This is starting to be more and more fun. <whispers> Would be more fun if I didn't have to clean up and put up all the toys after ever use.

Guys, if I hadn't said so today,  I really appreciate what you continiously teach. Oh and "Guys" means everyone , its not gender specific.

Sorry it didn't work out for you on the bacon.

Disco
Thank you Disco but thats life,  I gave it a shot.  It would have been great had it worked. I am still smelling the french toast...LOL

Seems like I have failed with other experiments here before...... I bet it happens again too. Its how rednecks like me learn.

But the sausage and andouille makes up for it.

Amen brother.
usa.gif

BTW, I tasted the sausage today. I believe its the best I have ever made and possibly the best I have ever tasted.

Spice was perfect, a very slight suggestion of heat when eatting which builds for five mins after eatting. Not uncomfortable at all, but warm. The Amephos gives it a little twang which I have not noticed before........ I LIKE it! I also tried with this sausage with a bit of cure. The manufacturer of the this sausage said he had just incorporated it in his also. I can't say I noticed the cure taste or texture at all. Amazing.

That is Good stuff. I am so happy you guys goated me into trying making sausage. Believe me you better be a GREAT cajun cook to beat me now with my own sausage & Andouille.

I am now getting folks wanting to purchase my "tender" andouille, and some guy came by the house the other day and wanted to BUY boudin!  I didn't know him nor did I have any. This is starting to be more and more fun. <whispers> Would be more fun if I didn't have to clean up and put up all the toys after ever use.

Guys, if I hadn't said so today,  I really appreciate what you continiously teach. Oh and "Guys" means everyone , its not gender specific.
bying pork butts every week to make sausage. between you and pop gotta get it goin!

Been away for a few days Foam, sorry this didn't turn out the way you'd liked !
You can't win 'em all, I can eat the bacon so it not a loss by any means. I still want to smoke a belly, not bacon, a belly. I keep hearing and reading about those British guys across the lake doing it. Its sounds pretty dang good to me.

And glad ya back, you must have been enjoying those oysters.

That sausage looks outstanding!!  I really have to get off my butt and try to make some!
Its not so much fun to start, well like I did anyway.  A mexican grinder/stuffer = Manual!

Last year I upgraded with a sausage stuffer, a 5# from LEM It made all the difference even though it was small, It still suits me fine. OMG it was like night and day. Suddenly I could allow my curiosity to go wild.  Definately the best first step for me.

Then this year, I went overboard......  Meet Max, he's only a #12 but he could been a contender! This sucker could emulsify reinforced concrete, wouldn't even bind down the motor.....

You progress, its an addiction. I am thinking maybe this year a vacumn sealer, next year a slicer.....LOL It never ends. Boys and their toys.

You realize how much sausage you could buy for the amount spent? But then you wouldn't get to grind it, mix it, stuff it, and then smoke it. I smell so good the day of the smoke, I won't even take a shower. Axe body spray ain't got nothing on pecan smoke!

Its a load of fun, and its legal!  I am thinking tomorrow I will make some fresh green onion and garlic sausage and maybe some boudin (butts were on sale last week). LOL I just can't help myself.

Last edited:
The more I read and see all the neat stuff on here the more I want more equipment, maybe a stuffer and grinder next.  Some of you guys are always making some fabulous stuff.

Gary

bying pork butts every week to make sausage. between you and pop gotta get it goin!
What I make is mostly what I would buy at the store to use cooking anyway. Cajun smoked sausage I actually save about 2.00/lb making myself. The andouille I save as much as 5.00/lb. So lets face it, it really is a hobby. I know my quality, hopefully I can do the same thing twice approx. the same...LOL

In the begining my butcher thought I was totally nuts. But after awhile she figured it out and for the most part would rather my meats than her stores smokers recipes...LOL

Its just alot of fun.

The more I read and see all the neat stuff on here the more I want more equipment, maybe a stuffer and grinder next.  Some of you guys are always making some fabulous stuff.

Gary
I am sitting here laughing at you. Its like the bacon, Canadian bacon and hams yes and the corned beef, and the pastramii. Its only a hobby till you make that first one, then its a necessity.  Make sure you have plenty of brownie points stored up with the boss and ask the butcher if they ever considered a partner. LOL

I thought of something last night that shocked me. of all the smoked sausage I have made, I have made it with cabbage, jambalaya, gumbo, poboys, etc.... I have yet to throw some on the BBQ grill. That amazed me.

You'd have no problems at all with it. It can't be brain surgery, I do it, right? Sometimes right anyway.....LOL

Last edited:
Hey Foam your stuff always looks great, I've been smoking and grilling forever But this curing is new, and I love it. 

Gary

Looks like we'll have a week of semi cool weather starting tonight!

Yeah, I know. I am exactly the same. Man you see stuff like Boykjo's and so many more's smokes, and ya just drool all over the keyboard.

Looks like we'll have a week of semi cool weather starting tonight!

Yeah, I know. I am exactly the same. Man you see stuff like Boykjo's and so many more's smokes, and ya just drool all over the keyboard.
Pretty Chilly tomorrow, But if no rain I'll be smoking my belly bacon

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky