Bacon candy.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
This is a nod at 73saint 73saint from looking at his Praline bacon candy. I decided to go a slightly different route because I'm planning to make bacon jam. Which has tons of sugar and maple syrup in it.
I figured I'd make a bacon candy that is kind of like a sweet, boozy jerky kind a thing.

P9231167.jpg

I am making a small batch to try out on my victims first! I put 10 slices of thick hickory bacon (store bought) on a jerky rack. And cooked at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
P9231168.JPG

Meanwhile. I got 1/3 cup of honey with 2 tbs bourbon. Brought to a boil. Then set aside to cool a touch.
Then I added this to the bacon with a silicone basting brush.
And put back in oven for 15 more minutes at 350 degrees.

P9231170.jpg

Took out of oven. It will still be a bit limp. But it firmed up and got crispy after it sat on the counter for a few minutes. And sprinkled some fresh ground black pepper on them.

P9231171.jpg

This is actually very good! It has a subtle sweetness with a smoky bourbon aftertaste. If I changed anything. I think I'd add a tsp of brown sugar to bump the sweetness a touch. Or, flip the bacon halfway through the second cook. And add the honey mixture to the other side of the bacon. You would half to double the amount of the mixture of course.

Looks good Steve! Just what the Dr ordered! So did you actually share it? Bet it doesn't last long

Ryan

Did it develop a candy-like coating from the glaze?
I've never used honey, I find that interesting.
I've always done brown sugar and maple syrup, sometimes followed up with chocolate and nuts or coarse salt.

Looks good Steve, I'll be a guinea pig.

Reactions: jcam222
That looks real good to me Steve!
I may give that a try!
I love pepper bacon & this would definitely kick it up a notch!
I guess I’ll have to buy a bottle of Jack, now what am I going to do with the leftover? :emoji_blush:
Al

Reactions: sawhorseray
Looks good Steve! Just what the Dr ordered! So did you actually share it? Bet it doesn't last long

Ryan
Thanks! Half is gone already! Thumbs up from Tim and Ann.

Did it develop a candy-like coating from the glaze?
I've never used honey, I find that interesting.
I've always done brown sugar and maple syrup, sometimes followed up with chocolate and nuts or coarse salt.

Looks good Steve, I'll be a guinea pig.
Thanks, no. It didn't create a candy like coating. It is just tacky. I'm going to try it again. But add either brown or white sugar to see if it gives it that coating.

That looks real good to me Steve!
I may give that a try!
I love pepper bacon & this would definitely kick it up a notch!
I guess I’ll have to buy a bottle of Jack, now what am I going to do with the leftover? :emoji_blush:
Al
Thanks Al! I'm sure you'll figure out what to use the rest of the bourbon for! :emoji_wink:

That looks amazing. I like going the brown sugar route with bacon for BLT's.

Note to self. Need to make BLTs
Thank you! Tomorrow I'm making it again. But adding some brown sugar. I think it needs a touch more sweetness to it.

I use a Rum / Brown Sugar glaze on my Kippered salmon that's pretty good.. I like the pairing... since rum is made from sugar cane..... Just sayin'.....
Just a small amount of rum to keep the glaze THICK so it dries out fast.... enough to dissolve the sugar, is about all... Looking at your bacon, I should have added cracked black to the glaze... Next time.....

.. Glaze
Atl Sal 11-19-2015 004.JPG ....

Before
11-26 rum-brn sugar glazed.JPG ......

After
Atl Sal Done 004.jpg .......

Money
Money Atl Sal 002.JPG

Last edited:
I use a Rum / Brown Sugar glaze on my Kippered salmon that's pretty good.. I like the pairing... since rum is made from sugar cane..... Just sayin'.....
Just a small amount of rum to keep the glaze THICK so it dries out fast.... enough to dissolve the sugar, is about all... Looking at your bacon, I should have added cracked black to the glaze... Next time.....

View attachment 464361
Thanks for the info Dave.

Reactions: daveomak
Yes it does bud. Thanks for sharing and making us jealous.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
That looks delicious Steve. I've only made that twice but never used honey, one of those times was a failure.

Like Brian you had me at bacon. I’d have to make about 10 dozen of those to make sure some was left for others!!! Lol looks awesome.

Very nice Steve! What's not to like!! I've only ever did this once with maple syrup. The honey and bourbon sound like an awesome addition. I'd have no trouble plowing through that.

That looks delicious Steve. I've only made that twice but never used honey, one of those times was a failure.
Thanks!

Like Brian you had me at bacon. I’d have to make about 10 dozen of those to make sure some was left for others!!! Lol looks awesome.
Thank you!

Very nice Steve! What's not to like!! I've only ever did this once with maple syrup. The honey and bourbon sound like an awesome addition. I'd have no trouble plowing through that.
Thanks! Today I'm going to make more. And add brown sugar to bump up the flavor.
Stay tuned!

That looks mighty good Steve, thanks for giving the honey a test spin. Now it definitely on my to-do list.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky