Bacon Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love Pork Belly Burnt Ends. However, as I was making some bacon, my defective gene kicked in and I wondered how burnt ends would taste made from cured pork belly (bacon). It must be done.

The first thing you need is a piece of unsliced bacon. You can just go to supermarket and buy a piece of bacon, but I was making my own anyway.

I cured a 420 gram (1 pound) piece of pork belly and put it in to cure with the rest of my bacon.

Bacon Burnt Ends 01.jpg

I took it out and rinsed it off. I put it on a rack to dry.

Bacon Burnt Ends 02.jpg

If you want to make your own slab of bacon like this, see my post:

Covid Bacons

If you are making your own slab of bacon, don’t hot smoke it. You want it uncooked. If you want a stronger smoke flavour, you can cold smoke it for a few hours. Unsmoked gives the burnt ends a hammy taste, smoked gives it a more smoked bacon taste. I've tried both and both are great.

Take a 420 gram (1 pound) slab of unsliced uncooked bacon and cut it into 1-inch (2.5-cm) cubes.

Combine:

• 15 ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
  • 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp) paprika
  • 3 ml (1/2 tsp) ground dried chipotle
Toss the cubes in the spice mixture to coat.

Bacon Burnt Ends 03.jpg

Put the cubes on a rack. I try to get them to be fat side up but don’t worry about it too much. Put the rack in a 275 F (135 C) smoker.

Bacon Burnt Ends 04.jpg

Smoke for 1 hour and push a probe into a cube. You are looking for an internal temperature of about 202 F (94 C) but mostly, you want the probe to go in like it is going into butter. If this doesn’t happen, smoke it for 20 minutes and recheck. Keep smoking and checking every 20 minutes until the meat is probe tender. It took my 1 hour and 40 minutes in my Bradley P10.

Take the cubes and put them in a roasting pan.

Combine:

• 40 ml (3 tbsp) sweet spicy BBQ sauce
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) maple syrup
  • 1 to 3 ml (1/4 to 1/2 tsp) Sriracha sauce or Tabasco to taste.
Pour the sauce over the cubes and toss to coat with the sauce.

Bacon Burnt Ends 06.jpg

Put the cubes back in the smoker for 30 minutes to set the sauce.

Plate and let rest for 5 minutes to cool a bit and serve.

Bacon Burnt Ends 07.jpg

Bacon Burnt Ends 08.jpg

The Verdict

This is a home run. They have the same great texture as pork belly burnt ends with a salty, hammy background taste. The maple syrup in the sauce adds to the bacon profile. The fat is nicely rendered and explodes with flavour when you chew.

I will let you know I got the hairy eyeball from She Who Must Be Obeyed as this is a fatty appetizer. It is bacon! I thought that was a plus but apparently, I am wrong. I might have to make these again with cured pork shoulder. Nah, the bacon is too good, I’ll take the nasty look.

Disco

Looks great! PBBE are in my top two of my favorites in the smoker. I do love bacon. I’m going to have to try this.

Reactions: disco
Looks great! PBBE are in my top two of my favorites in the smoker. I do love bacon. I’m going to have to try this.

If you like the belly, you'll love the bacon. Did that come out right?

Very nice disco. Those look amazing. I have made pbbe many times and love them but I'm sure the bacon takes it over the top. Gotta give this a go!

Those look great Disco.
Always inspired by your posts.

Wow, blushing here. I'm just a fat old Canadian who likes his groceries.

Very nice disco. Those look amazing. I have made pbbe many times and love them but I'm sure the bacon takes it over the top. Gotta give this a go!

It is just a touch better! Thanks.

Yum!! I could live off of bacon burnt ends!!(probably not very long lol) they look great disco! And great post as always!

They sure look great. As impressive as is typical for an Old Fat Guy.😆 I'm an authority as, I are one!😂
I have got to track down some Belly. No local operations carry it. Guess the local folks are happy with commercial bacon...JJ

So you've taken PBBEs to BBBEs (belly bacon burnt ends) :emoji_thumbsup: If I ever see a pork belly again.... I'm giving these a try. A friend called tonight, he's thinking about driving 300 miles to a Restaurant Depot before Christmas to get some pork belly.

Well I sure didn't hate them! Thanks!

Awesome as always disco!!

That is most kind!

They sure look great. As impressive as is typical for an Old Fat Guy.😆 I'm an authority as, I are one!😂
I have got to track down some Belly. No local operations carry it. Guess the local folks are happy with commercial bacon...JJ

Go to your local supermarket and suck up to your butcher. It has got me pork belly and packer briskets that normally aren't on the shelf!

So you've taken PBBEs to BBBEs (belly bacon burnt ends) :emoji_thumbsup: If I ever see a pork belly again.... I'm giving these a try. A friend called tonight, he's thinking about driving 300 miles to a Restaurant Depot before Christmas to get some pork belly.

I feel your pain. As I said to JJ, suck up to the butcher at your supermarket. It is my only hope now that travel to the big smoke is restricted.

I love those things, but they are so rich that I can only eat a couple of them & I’m full. But I have to say yours look exceptionally good!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky