Covid Bacons, Side, Buckboard and Canadian (Back) Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
One of the things I did in my COVID 19 isolation is go through my freezer. I found a pork belly, a pork shoulder and a pork loin roast. It was obviously time to make bacon.

Each of these pork cuts make a different kind of bacon but the process for each is the same. Pork belly makes regular side bacon. Pork Shoulder makes buckboard bacon. Pork loin makes back bacon. As for back bacon, Americans call that Canadian bacon.

To make each bacon you must prepare the meat.

For the pork shoulder, remove any skin and cut the roast into slabs. For the pork belly, remove the skin. For the pork loin, you do not have to trim unless you want to remove some of the fat cap.

Covid Bacon 01.jpg

After this, each piece of pork can be prepared the same. Start by weighing each piece of pork.

You will need to make a cure mix for each piece of pork. Work with one piece at a time.

If you are working in metric, for each kilogram the piece weighs, mix:

• 30 ml/25.8 grams of brown sugar
  • 15 ml/19.2 grams of kosher salt
  • 2.3 ml/3 grams Prague powder #1
In pounds, for each pound piece weighs, mix:

• 2 1/2 teaspoons/0.35 oz brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon/0.3 oz Kosher salt
  • 1/5 teaspoon/0.04 oz Prague powder #1
So, multiply the amounts above by the weight of the meat (for example 2 kg of pork would need 60 ml (51.56 grams) of brown sugar – 2 times 30 ml (25.8 grams))

Put the meat on a plate or tray and rub the cure mix in.

Covid Bacon 02.jpg

Put the meat in a resealable plastic bag or a vacuum sealer bag. Scrape any rub the fell onto the plate into the bag. Seal the bag but do not suck the air out.

Covid Bacon 03.jpg

Repeat for each piece of meat.

Put the meat in the fridge. Measure the thickest part of the pieces. You will need to leave the meat in the fridge for 4 days per inch (2.5 cm) of the meat plus 2 days. So, a 2-inch (5 cm) thickness will need 10 days (4 times 2 plus 2). Turn the meat and massage every day or two.

Take the meat out and soak it in cold water for an hour, changing the water once.

Pat the meat dry with paper towel and put it in the fridge, uncovered, overnight for the surface to dry.

Covid Bacon 08.jpg

I smoked at 200 F to an internal temperature of 145 F in my Traeger Timberline.

Covid Bacon 09.jpg

I let it cool and then refrigerated for a day and sliced.

Covid Bacon 04.jpg

Of course, you must try some!

Covid Bacon 07.jpg

The Verdict

I love home made bacon! The Canadian (Back) Bacon is very lean. The belly bacon has that great bacon crunch. The Buckboard bacon is between the two. They all have a nice mild smoke taste and a great balance of salt and sugar!

Disco

Attachments

• Covid-Bacon-01.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-01.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Covid-Bacon-02.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-02.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Covid-Bacon-03.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-03.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Covid-Bacon-08.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-08.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Covid-Bacon-09.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-09.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Covid-Bacon-04.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-04.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Covid-Bacon-07.jpg
    Covid-Bacon-07.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Covid Bacon 03.jpg
    Covid Bacon 03.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 19
Holy cow that looks amazing, I have to get over my fear of meat curing and try this out.
10 points.

Dan

disco,
An amazing write up. Very easy to understand and read. Thank you. I really want to make homemade bacon and I believe this thread pushed me to do it! I will be saving this post!
Now, I gotta find me a pork belly!

Nice work . Good way to spend the extra time at home . I found goodies in the bottom of the deep freeze too .

All looks Great, Disco!!
Too much work for me nowadays!
Wore me out just looking at all that Beautiful Stuff!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Looks Fantastic. I'll have to try this route for BBB . Have only used Bears ( which is great) with tenderquick.

Holy cow that looks amazing, I have to get over my fear of meat curing and try this out.
10 points.

Dan

Definitely give it a go, Dan. Bearcarver taught me how easy it was years ago and I have helped hundreds of others get started. Everyone is surprised how easy and good it is. Proof that it is easy is that I do it!

disco,
An amazing write up. Very easy to understand and read. Thank you. I really want to make homemade bacon and I believe this thread pushed me to do it! I will be saving this post!
Now, I gotta find me a pork belly!

Thanks for the kind words! Definitely try home made bacon. It is vastly superior to store bought.

Nice work . Good way to spend the extra time at home . I found goodies in the bottom of the deep freeze too .

Har! It is amazing what is in those dark corners, isn't it!

All looks Great, Disco!!
Too much work for me nowadays!
Wore me out just looking at all that Beautiful Stuff!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

When the world is sane again, get your kids and family together to make bacon and you supervise!

Thanks, Bear, this is just one more of the great dishes you started me on.

Looks Fantastic. I'll have to try this route for BBB . Have only used Bears ( which is great) with tenderquick.

I used Bear's as my go to until they stopped selling Tenderquick here. Then I had to improvise.

The perfect bacon trifecta Disco. Well done!!!

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky