Bacon, Bacon, Bacon ~ Foamheart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
I had some pork loin without a home a couple a weeks ago and then saw some actually bellies, not just sides on sale!! Don't push and shove plenty of room here.

Something a bit different on the belly this time. I added the leftover cooked pickling brine from the cowboy candy (pickled jalapenos), to the cure brine. I am not a nut about jalapenos, but its a nice aroma to the meat.

IMG_0342.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

Under the fan trying to even improve that pellicle while preheating the smoker and getting the Aux smoker set up, filled and started.

IMG_0364.JPG

A couple of hours in and just starting to take some smoke.

IMG_0372.JPG

I am thinking its pretty but I want MORE! Will hit it again tomorrow. But they are starting to look good aren't they ????

Looking great!! I have to start paying more attention to forming a good pellicle for mine.

Looks good. What cure process did you use?

Looks good. What cure process did you use?

Thanks

I used Pop's Dad's, Fassett's brine cure. I put another belly in today. I really wanted to try a dry rub but its just too easy to jump out there with what you're used to. Everytime I want to dry rub I just procrastinate long enough to need a quick fix.

Looks real good already!
Will be interested in seeing how much more color you get the second day.
I only do mine for 10 hours & only for one day. That seems to suit our taste.
Al

Man....that's some good looking stuff!! Big LIKE. Can't wait to see round 2. When I made my first batch almost 2 years ago, I chopped the end pieces up (the stuff that wouldn't slice nicely) and made them into crumbles. Turns out that we use as many or more of the crumbles as we do the sliced bacon. I am down to 1 small bag of them left in the freezer and remembered that I had half a belly in the freezer so put it on to cure about a week ago. The weight was just over 5# and that entire thing is gonna get chopped up for crumbles after I smoke it this weekend. Hopefully that will carry us over for a while.

Loving some bacon!!
Robert

That looks excellent Kevin. I've got my first attempt at belly bacon sitting in the refrigerator now. Followed Disco instructions. I'm hoping I didn't screw it up and it comes out looking half as good as yours does.

Point for sure
Chris

That looks excellent Kevin. I've got my first attempt at belly bacon sitting in the refrigerator now. Followed Disco instructions. I'm hoping I didn't screw it up and it comes out looking half as good as yours does.

If you followed Disco's instructions, fear not. It'll be fantastic!! I can only bet that everybody that's done it has the same fear of screwing it up. I know I did but it was for naught. The bacon was excellent and I still thank Disco every time I get a pack out to cook.

Robert

Looks real good already!
Will be interested in seeing how much more color you get the second day.
I only do mine for 10 hours & only for one day. That seems to suit our taste.
Al

Thanks Al, oh and tell Ms Judy happy happy!

I know, I found too that I had been adding what I thought was too much smoke. I was wanting More instead of just getting what I liked. And today I am sadly temped to stop where it is cause its cold and raining outside. And the reefer smelled so good when I opened the door this morning. LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky