Bacon and Canadian Bacon

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by bill ace 350, Sep 18, 2014.

1. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Picked up some pork belly the other day, and some pork loin today. Will mix up a dry cure for them tomorrow, cure for 6-8 days, then smoke... Will post pics of the dry cure tomorrow. Can't wait! haven't had bacon in awhile!

2. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bill, you should know, once you do this you can never return back to who you are now. You will have crossed over and there is not returning. It will get into every fiber of your very existence. You camp the meat counter begging the butcher for free samples of larger pieces of meat! You'll break large limbs off your neighbors fruit and nut trees. You'll have boxes and boxes of seasonings and spices including cures you'll never use, taking up space in the house.

Bon Chance!!

3. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am in.

I love curing meats.

4. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking  forward to the Qview!

Disco

5. flyboys

flyboys Smoking Fanatic

Sounds great, I'm in

6. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Bill, evening..... when curing, the accepted time to cure is 1/4" of thickness per day, + 2 days.... Sooooooo, for a 4" thick loin, 2" to the center should be cured for a minimum of 10 days.... then a good rinse and a couple days in the refer for it to come to equilibrium would be good... Too short of a cure time is not good... extra time is good... there is a chemical reaction/penetration that does need to happen...

Dave

7. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Thanks for the replies everyone. The loins I have are not large, but I will take the advice and cure longer. Here is a picture of my first attempt at Canadian Bacon -

I hope this next batch works out as good....

Will post updates.

8. [​IMG]  I look forward to seeing some smoke.

Happy smoken.

David

9. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

When you cut into the loin, check to make sure the cure has penetrated to the center.....

This is an example of too short a cure time.....

bill ace 350 likes this.
  10. rexster314

rexster314 Meat Mopper

That was me when I first started out almost 10 years ago. Now I have a favorite dry cure that I mix up myself that  I use for almost everything except pastrami which needs to be pickled.

11. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

So, my pork bellies will be ready for some smoke tomorrow, the loins another couple of days.

I am going to try a cold smoke, using apple wood,  and a cheapo 30w soldering iron from Harbor Freight to make some smoke. Seems like it will do the trick.

12. How long are you planning on smoking? Happy smoken.
    David

13. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Probably 6 - 10 hours... Play it by ear...

14. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Rinsed, soaked, patted dry and peppered. in the fridge overnight. Test fry was outstanding.

15. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Started the smoke at 1315. Bellies had a nice pellicule on them. Outside temperature about 72 degrees. Used some ice in the pan to maybe keep temperatures down. Smoking with apple wood  in an old peanut can with a soldering iron. Smoking nice an evenly. Will post pics.

16. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Nice smoke, nice temp....even decided to throw a small block of sharp cheddar in..

17. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I never thought of a camp cup as a multi tasker before. [​IMG]

So where's the meat??

18. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Camp Cup definitely a multi-tasker!!! If you need to bump up the temp real quick, just place that on the top!!!!!

19. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper

Events caused my plans to change, and I ended up pulling it after 4 hours of smoke at 70 - 75 degrees. Wrapped it and placed back in the fridge. Will try some tonight.

20. bill ace 350

bill ace 350 Meat Mopper