Bacon and Canadian Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great. How was the smoke flavor?
Mild, but you could taste it. My first try with apple, has a nice flavor. I think a couple of hours more would have been better, but i'm calling this another success!!!

Sweet deal. I usually let mine set in the fridge for 3 days to let the smoke mellow some.

Lookin good
Thanks C Farmer..... Another 30 minutes and I will take another temperature reading... Once I decide to pull it, I will tent and let it rest. I screwed up though....Dont have any plastic wrap.... What's best, place it in a zip lock, or wrap in foil?

I would zip lock it and try to get the air out of it.

Looks great but 3 more degrees and you would have been able to eat it cold without cooking it.

It would have been fully cooked.

Last edited:
Very good advise. I remember curing "bauern Schinken" cold smoked ham approx. 2" thick and let it sit for a week before rinsing and netting for cold smoke

Well, I am very pleased with how the Canadian bacon turned out. It was my third batch using a dry cure. Very, very tasty and easy cure using Tender Quick. For my next attempt, I think i will make up a batch of Pop's Brine and try the wet cure route. Make a comparison.... Thanks for looking and all the assistance and comments.

You think tender quick is easy.

Pops brine is easier.

I have 3 loins curing with tender quick that will get smoked this weekend.

I haven't used pops brine with loins. Only belly bacon.

I need to do a side by side test. When I brine cured a cold smoked. When I went to tender quick I started warm smoking.

Interesting. I cold smoked my bacon cured with tenderquick. Worked good, tastes great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky