Back to Cooking Turducken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

joed617

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 13, 2006
North East

It's been a while due to a heart attack almost a year ago I haven't been around much.  This past Thanksgiving I made a Turducken .. I made soup stock with the turkey and chicken bones and meat and made a Duck demi glace' with the duck bones. here is a link to some pics in putting it all together!     This is also the end product! Nice color, nice shot of the layers .

Thanks Ron .... I deboned everything the night before just leaving the legs, thighs and wings intact.... leaving all the skin leaving th skin on as well .. I made an Andoullie Herb stuffing and dabbed it with whole berry cranberry sauce. as you see, it wasn't my 1st .. they are easy to make .. except if your wife wants to take 47 pictures .. lol  I may be doing a cook book .. hence lots of photos ...

Joe

That looks amazing!  I've already bought a Turducken from Hebert's Specialty Meats.  What cooking instructions would you give?  i.e. cooking time and temperature.  I'll probably  be using my Traeger wood pellet grill.

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill, I cooked mine at 300 deg. I also baisted it with a 1/2 bottle of dry white wine and a 1/2 of melted butter. It took 5 hours. Making the turducken is easy. I'm sure your are good with a knife.

Joe

Joe, I am curious about the texture of the Duck and Chicken Skin after cooking. Both can be quite chewy when they are not cooked crisp. Additionally is the bulk of the Duck Fat rendered into the stuffing making it greasy or still intact under the skin? It looks and sounds like it would be delicious...JJ

The skin seems to melt away .. You can't taste it, can't see it ..  the duck fat does render out  into the stuffing and the stuffing doesn't taste or appear  greasy..(I made an andoullie stuffing for the one I shown above) 1st time I made this I thought the same thing about the duck skin. I would reccomend baking the duck bones with an onion, stalk of celery and a carrot .. brushing the bones with tomato paste and cooking them until they look almost burnt. Place that all in a pot, add some water and simmer for 4 hours adding water as needed, then strain it reserving the liquid and reduce to 1/3 ad that to the drippings when making your gravy. I cook with as little salt as possible, I like to find other ways to bring out the natural flavors ... If you need more info JJ ... ask away :)

Glad to see you back around the house here.  That looks fantastic.  Hope all is well and good luck with the 'cookbook' may it bring you fame and much wealth.

LOL .. what fame and what wealth .. that happens after your gone .. laugh .. good to see you again ...

Not at all .. don't start deboning from the breasts side.  run your knife down the back and slowly run the knife between the bone and meat not tearing the skin. when you get to the legs and winds disjoint them and keep running that sharp knife along the bone .. go slowly and be patient. Do both sides right and left and save the center breasts bone for last .. You'll get the hang of it .. I would start with the chicken first so you kinda know the body structure and you won't have to worry about cutting the skin.. then do the duck ... and then the turkey. Good luck !

Joe 

Hey Joe,

Seeing how I'm originally from LA I would love to get that Andouille stuffing recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing.  I have always wanted to try a Turducken but was kind of afraid to try the deboning.  I read your discription but still am unsure about it.  Might just get a chicken one day and try my hand at it.  Thanks for the post and let us know if you put out the cook book I might be very interested in getting one.

I do make my own Andouille every week 35 to 40 lbs . So I always have some on hand!

1 lbs of andouille meat (removed from casing )

1 large globe onion (diced)

2 to 3 stalks of celery (diced)

Chicken stock

3 cups of stale corn bread (cubed)

3 cubs of bread (cubed)

1 table spoon of Bells seasoning or to your liking

salt and pepper to taste.

Night before or longer you take all the bread cube it into 1/2" cubes and let it air dry.. or place in a warm oven to speed this up.

remove sausage from casing fry over love heat crumbeling it up as it cooks.. Remove the meat using a slotted spoon place in a small bowl  leaving behind the fat in the pan. Sautee' onion and celery in the pan untl soft. in a large bowl add your bread cubes and sprinkle with the Bells seasoning. Ad your andouille crumbles and cooked onion. Mix well... Add enough chicken stock to the mixture and mix it with your hands  .slowly adding more stock until you have it wet enough. Should be able to take some of the stuffing and form a ball with it and holds it's shape. so not too wet!   salt and pepper to taste. Any other questions let me know .I'm here to share and help out the best I can ..

Joe

. At my place we do alot of cajun and creole cooking .. Mardi Gras is comming soon, early this year and we party for 2 weeks and Fat Tueday is a Big Day!!  I'll be ordering the crawfish and have it shipped up alive as well as crawfsh tails with the fat on them...  Everyhing else is make in house and I may be posting pics of that as well...

i have only done turduckin once .. lets just say yours looks amazing . when it comes to bbq am very rarley impressed but you for sure have done it .. keep the smoke rings going

Thank You and much appreciated ... did you see my dessert?  it's a bacon brownie .. with homemade maple, bacon brittle icecream and bacon, nut brittle wedge drizzled with chocolate ..

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky