Back to Basics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
PXL_20221227_214523868.jpg

Not priced much different that ground

PXL_20221227_230603970.jpg

Not solid but very stiff
PXL_20221227_231358994.jpg

PXL_20221228_002446928.jpg

Sorry, didn't temp it but still very cold and tacky
PXL_20221228_005437115.jpg

In the fridge for a day or two. I'm still trying to decide whether to let the smoker ride the 12-18 hours it usually takes to get in the upper 140s IT or the the SV again.

Attachments

• PXL_20221228_005437115.jpg
    PXL_20221228_005437115.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 5
Looks good. You have enough chubs to do some both ways, but I would run them all in the smoker until the IT comes up to about 130* then SV a couple for finish.

Reactions: kuroki
Noticed you have the LEM electric stuffer, are you also disappointed in your $700 stuffer that they said can do snack sticks that struggles with it? Replaced my original motor with the new one that reverses a bit when you let up on the petal and got two uses out of it before it murdered itself stuffing meat that had 2 oz of water per pound in it to help with stuffing, LEM replaced it at no cost but not exactly happy about their marketing team lying about the capabilities.

I haven't tried snack sticks yet. Summer Sausage and crackers are my snack of choice. I did get a package of sheep casings 20-22 last week to try them out when I get my new smoker going.

I highly recommend checking how cold the meat is with an instant read thermometer. There is such a thing as having the fat too cold. For the fat, 30-32*F; meat below 35*F.

I'd definitely try a few different finishing methods, so long as they are sound. There isn't always only one way to do something, so I play around with different ones and pick what suits me best. There are definitely wrong ways though lol.

Noticed you have the LEM electric stuffer, are you also disappointed in your $700 stuffer that they said can do snack sticks that struggles with it? Replaced my original motor with the new one that reverses a bit when you let up on the petal and got two uses out of it before it murdered itself stuffing meat that had 2 oz of water per pound in it to help with stuffing, LEM replaced it at no cost but not exactly happy about their marketing team lying about the capabilities.
I have the 30# LEM electric stuffer and have no issues stuffing sticks. You have to stuff them with the motor speed dial on the 2nd slowest setting or slower. Any faster than that and it is too much torque for the motor and it will trip the circuit breaker.

I bet I have stuffed over 250# of sticks over the last 3 years since I bought that stuffer...along with well over 2500# of sausages.

*Edit to add:
Did not know they did a redesign on the motor to reverse pressure slightly when you let off the foot pedal. That was my biggest critic of the LEM stuffers. I'll have to look into upgrading my motor.

Last edited:
I have made them many times starting the smoker at 120 and bumping 10 every hour up to 160 and letting it ride to the upper 140s for IT. It usually takes from 12-18 hours going this route. I know it's a dirty word, I was just looking for the 'shortcut' I read so much about.

I have the 30# LEM electric stuffer and have no issues stuffing sticks. You have to stuff them with the motor speed dial on the 2nd slowest setting or slower. Any faster than that and it is too much torque for the motor and it will trip the circuit breaker.

I bet I have stuffed over 250# of sticks over the last 3 years since I bought that stuffer...along with well over 2500# of sausages.
Guess I should have no problem, I run the stuffer at about that speed with SS.

I haven't tried snack sticks yet. Summer Sausage and crackers are my snack of choice. I did get a package of sheep casings 20-22 last week to try them out when I get my new smoker going.
Maybe you'll get lucky, LEM also used a custom base diameter for the stuffing horns but luckily they went slightly smaller than the 2" horns and you can just modify one to fit in it, 21mm casings will barely slide over the smallest horn they gave you without the need to unravel them. If you want a horn for anything smaller than that this one isn't bad but the smaller diameter adds more pressure, just chuck the stuffing end into a drill and file down the base until it fits in the LEM plastic ring:

If you're still in the return window for it I'd recommend considering swapping it out for the Walton's one that they put out a video on 6 months ago talking about how they specifically engineered it so it could do them on top of other stuff, or just swapping to cheaper manual one with dual gears as summer sausage isn't that bad to crank by hand. Just my 2 cents but thought I'd share my experience with it.

I have the LEM 5# stuffer and have a stuffer tube that measures 3/8” OD I can go very small on casings and the little stuffer does not complain as long as the mix isn’t to dry.

*Edit to add:
Did not know they did a redesign on the motor to reverse pressure slightly when you let off the foot pedal. That was my biggest critic of the LEM stuffers. I'll have to look into upgrading my motor.
I'll give that a shot but feel like I'm usually pretty low, you know how much water you put into yours and how do you lube it up? I think they charged me like $300-400 for the motor, just call the parts department. My last motor would trip the breaker all the time, I think the new one was faulty and ended up murdering itself over tripping. The other issue I ran into with the new motor was that the pressure would build up and the gasket would pop off in certain sections, replaced the gasket but didn't fix the issue, no bends/dents in the canister from what I've seen and when I was on the phone with LEM it sounds like that's just something that happens and the guy pretty much suggested that I might be better off stuffing manually for smaller casings. Going to try the new motor this weekend but hoping it'll trip the breaker over popping the gasket as once the gasket pops you get to either reverse all the way and fix it or keep going and have like 1/4 of the meat flow up and around it and you have to grab it when it comes back up so it doesn't end up in the gearbox.

Last edited:
you know how much water you put into yours and how do you lube it up?
The last batch of sticks I made, I used between 0.75~1 oz. per pound of mince. No issues with stuffing.
pressure would build up and the gasket would pop off in certain sections
Definitely got something going on....are you using the 1/2" or 5/8" tube? I've never had the gasket pop off. Building up too much pressure if you have mince blowing past the seal. I would suggest slowing the motor speed down until you get no blow by thru the o-ring seal.

Definitely got something going on....are you using the 1/2" or 5/8" tube? I've never had the gasket pop off. Building up too much pressure if you have mince blowing past the seal. I would suggest slowing the motor speed down until you get no blow by thru the o-ring seal.
I was originally using a 3/8" that I modified to fit and then switched to the 1/2" after it happened for the second time and still had the issue, had 2 oz of water per pound along with suregel, think the thing that might have put it over the edge was the high temperature cheese, probably adds a lot of friction to the stuffing tube, the guy that was helping me did a 5lb batch with the same recipe along with some diced jalapeno and shredded cheese instead of high temp cheese and it went through the 3/8" stuffing tube no problem.

You able to slide a sleeve of 21mm casings over the 5/8" tube without manually threading it on? I did that originally and it was miserable, bought the electric stuffer as an upgrade and it's a $600 step backwards in my opinion if it can't do the same job as my buddy cranking on a $100 VIVO stuffer that's clamped down to a table.

Not to interrupt this conversation, but I use this cheese in cheddar. The sharper the cheese the dryer, and that is key to high temp cheese. All you have to do is dry the cheese or buy it sharp to extra sharp, it’s half the price of high temp and works as well.

82DAB688-91D3-4007-BE22-E874EDDF87C1.jpeg

Not to interrupt this conversation, but I use this cheese in cheddar. The sharper the cheese the dryer, and that is key to high temp cheese. All you have to do is dry the cheese or buy it sharp to extra sharp, it’s half the price of high temp and works as well.
I'll give that a try, thanks, was thinking I'd just skip the cheese going forward in stack sticks or try chopping it up into smaller chunks than the 1/4" cubes. Any benefits to using pre-shredded over buying a 4lb block and sending it through a rotary grater? Didn't know if this is a case where the cellulose coating is good.

I was originally using a 3/8" that I modified to fit and then switched to the 1/2" after it happened for the second time and still had the issue, had 2 oz of water per pound along with suregel, think the thing that might have put it over the edge was the high temperature cheese, probably adds a lot of friction to the stuffing tube, the guy that was helping me did a 5lb batch with the same recipe along with some diced jalapeno and shredded cheese instead of high temp cheese and it went through the 3/8" stuffing tube no problem.

You able to slide a sleeve of 21mm casings over the 5/8" tube without manually threading it on? I did that originally and it was miserable, bought the electric stuffer as an upgrade and it's a $600 step backwards in my opinion if it can't do the same job as my buddy cranking on a $100 VIVO stuffer that's clamped down to a table.
I hate high temp cheese and never use the stuff. I use extra sharp cheddar cheese shredded when I do sticks. That and the 5/8" tube works for me. I use 23mm casing and yes, it will slide on the tube, but you have to work it on.

I dry my sticks for a shelf stable product so rarely use a binder because I'm not trying to hold on to the water. I do grind the goose meat through a 3mm plate both as an extra check to catch shotgun pellets and to grind the tough connective tissues. The fine grind gives a great bind. Goose meat has a lot of collagen in it.

I'm betting it is both the sure gel and the high temp cheese. What size dice is the high temp cheese?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky