Back Ribs question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I just looked at a recipe for 3, 1, 1. 3 hours at 180° to 190°, then at 225° for 1 hour wrapped, 1 hour unwrapped. I'm be trying this tomorrow.

I'm going to try it today but not sure if I can maintain that low of a temp. If I can't then I'll probably switch to a 2, 2, 1. Of course it depends on the looks and feel when I'll wrap.

I have been doing Costco's St Louis Ribs for a long time using the 3-2-1 method. My wife threw a curve at me when she came home from Costco with a package of Back Ribs. I found 1 suggestion that said a 2-2-1 method would be better for cooking them. Would they do well with the 3-2-1 or is the 2-2-1 a method that would be better?
Howdy Dale,
I'm a big fan of the Baby Back Rids. A couple of points:
1. The membrane on the BB ribs has already been pulled which is nice.
2. I use the entire 3-2-1 strictly as a very loose guide. I find that 3 hrs. at 225 produces the beautiful mahogany color that you're looking for.
3. If I'm happy with the color, I go ahead and foil at this point with a bit of apple juice in each foil package. Two hours might be a bit too long, so I do a bend test at about the 1.5 hr time point.
4. If bend test looks good I'll sauce and put back on (without foil), but usually only for about 30-45 minutes.

Guess that would be a 3-1.5-.75 cook. Remember it's more about color and feel using the 3-2-1 timing as a guide. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: joetee
Howdy Dale,
2. I use the entire 3-2-1 strictly as a very loose guide. I find that 3 hrs. at 225 produces the beautiful mahogany color that you're looking for.
3. If I'm happy with the color, I go ahead and foil at this point with a bit of apple juice in each foil package. Two hours might be a bit too long, so I do a bend test at about the 1.5 hr time point.
4. If bend test looks good I'll sauce and put back on (without foil), but usually only for about 30-45 minutes.

Guess that would be a 3-1.5-.75 cook. Remember it's more about color and feel using the 3-2-1 timing as a guide. Just my 2 cents.

interesting reading for sure. Weight of these ribs and your post have convinced me to go with a loose 3-2-1

i will be interested in how that turns out!
Well I tried the 180-190 for the first 1 to 2 hours. It works fine I think but it makes your cook a lot longer. Not much is happening at that low of a temp.
After trying this, I'll be going back to the 225°+ and 3, 2, 1 method.

Wrapping is a personal preference. Some do some don't. Also the cooker. You wrap to stop it from getting any darker and/or to speed up the stall.
There isn't a standard that you must follow exact steps in most cooks.
Is about a guide to follow and then adapt to your own liking.

Reactions: HalfSmoked
looks my wife paid 36 bucks for this 3 pack. I am not sure how that compares to other places. I have a good idea now of how I am going to approach these ribs. Can't hardly wait to try them.

looks my wife paid 36 bucks for this 3 pack. I am not sure how that compares to other places. I have a good idea now of how I am going to approach these ribs. Can't hardly wait to try them.
So about $12 each. Which is about what I would pay at Wal-Mart, but I imagine the Costco ones are better quality meat.

I have been doing Costco's St Louis Ribs for a long time using the 3-2-1 method. My wife threw a curve at me when she came home from Costco with a package of Back Ribs. I found 1 suggestion that said a 2-2-1 method would be better for cooking them. Would they do well with the 3-2-1 or is the 2-2-1 a method that would be better?
It’s my understanding that if you get the meatier baby back ribs, the 3-2-1 method works well. Otherwise, I’d stick with the 2-2-1 but you’ve probably been doing this longer than me!!

Howdy Dale,

Yep. Got my first batch of Costco BB ribs last weekend. Couldn't get the membrane off for the life of me. Then I realized, maybe Costco already took care of that. Checked the label and it says, 'minimally processed." No wonder . . . (hand on forehead emoji here).

Yep. Got my first batch of Costco BB ribs last weekend. Couldn't get the membrane off for the life of me. Then I realized, maybe Costco already took care of that. Checked the label and it says, 'minimally processed." No wonder . . . (hand on forehead emoji here).
lol!! life has it's fun moments...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky