Back from the woods and ready to post and smoke a bunch of meat.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
Well it seems like forever ago that I logged onto the SMF page. I have been gone for 9 days hunting deer back home in MN. We didn't get as many as in the past but we ended up with well over 100 lbs of vension trim that my dad, brother and I will use for all kinds of stuff (venison burger, sausage, snack sticks, etc.) I am excited to get back onto the SMF page and see what I have missed and also figure out what I want to try new this year with my venison. Normally I have always put most of my trim into sausage but we have so much leftover from years past that I don't need any more this year so I am going to make a bunch of snack sticks maybe some summer sausage and try to find something else to try. I am smoking around 10 turkes for work people this weekend and also making goose jerkey so I am ready to get the smoker going. It seems like summer is such a busy time and fall is my hunting time so after deer hunting I really get the smoker going a lot. I refer to it as smoking season. haha Hopefully everyone else had/has success in their hunting this year. Now its back to reality heading back to work today. Booooo

Welcome back. Our hunting season is just getting started here.  Guess it's time for you boys up north to kick back and let us southerners do some shooting.  Spent all weekend brushing duck blinds and putting up deer stands. 

I have a bunch of sausage left from last year as well.  I'm going to make a bunch of ground meat this year.  It seams like no matter how much I make, I always use it all.  Glad you guys had a good hunt.

We never buy store hamburger any more. All the burger we eat is our venison burger which is mixed with some pork and beef. Barely any fat and it tastes great. Soo much better for you. I am also going to make a bunch of breakfast patties this year as we really liked the small batch we did last year. I love trying new things.

Welcome Back!

Awesome Weather in MN for hunting season.

Todd
Yes it was. And especially nice Sat night and Sunday morning when we had a bit of snow on the ground. Sure makes it easier to track the deer. We were hunting down by the Wadena, Hewitt, MN area. Funny thing is there was snow in Hewitt where our farm is but by the time you got to Perham there wasn't any snow.

Welcome back. Sounds like you will be having fun putting out alot  of great sausage and rolling the TBS.

Welcome Back!

Awesome Weather in MN for hunting season.

Todd
Yes it was. And especially nice Sat night and Sunday morning when we had a bit of snow on the ground. Sure makes it easier to track the deer. We were hunting down by the Wadena, Hewitt, MN area. Funny thing is there was snow in Hewitt where our farm is but by the time you got to Perham there wasn't any snow.

Strange.

That happens around here, but usually because of a big elevation difference between the two places.

Looks like your Hewitt & Perham are at about the same elevation.

I love topographical maps.

Bear

Glad you had a successful trip! My hunting season this year has been a little weird. I have shot an antelope and a little whitetail, I still have another deer tag to fill, tried on Saturday but no luck. I am a bird hunter and as far as ducks and geese go, there are very few in the state right now, although the numbers are rising as the weather changes in Canada. I can't wait for a good duck hunt, and to really get my new auto-loader a good workout.

icon_cool.gif

Welcome back there Rbran. I'm glad you hade a good time and came back with some meat too. Now I can't wait to see what you will do with it.

Sounds like a great time was had, welcome back!  Glad to hear it's smoking season now, can't wait for all the great Qview!  
icon_mrgreen.gif

I haven't hunted in a few years and sure miss it.  I was up in Pa for the last few days and out at my brothers place he has a couple nice bucks hanging around.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky