Back (Canadian) Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Great looking CB, Disco!
It looks & sounds delicious!
Al
Thanks, Al! The slices I tasted were good enough I thought about not taking it to the family but the beautiful woman behind me persuaded me to.

Hey disco, I got this recipe I might use and I am wondering about the mixture
Makes. 3 pounds of bacon

Takes. 10 to 14 days to cure

Ingredients
3 pounds of pork loin, you can leave the fat cap on if you wish

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup of kosher salt

2 teaspoons Prague Powder #1

1 tablespoon powdered garlic

1 gallon distilled water

... But, i bought a nice plastic container that will hold probably 2 nice probably 4 lb pieces of loin, and was wondering would you mix up this mixture and pour it on and if not enough, make another batch and cover it all ???

My dad would love that bacon.. Me too.. I need to try it once. looks pretty easy.

Nice stuff!
Johnny B
IMG_20171019_093409.png

Makes. 3 pounds of bacon

Ingredients

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup of kosher salt

1 gallon distilled water

... But, i bought a nice plastic container that will hold probably 2 nice probably 4 lb pieces of loin, and was wondering would you mix up this mixture and pour it on and if not enough, make another batch and cover it all ???
I have made bacon with a brine and like it fine. I still use a brine mixture to make loin hams. Many of the recipes don't account on the combined weight of the water and the meat. You need 1 teaspoon of prague powder #1 for each 5 pounds. This has one gallon of water (8 pounds) plus 3 pounds of meat for a total of 11 pounds so 2 teaspoons would be in the ball park but I would go to 2.2 teaspoons to be sure. If you did 4 pounds of meat with 2 gallons of water (16 pounds) you would have 20 pounds of both and would need 4 teaspoons prague powder.

The sugar and salt amounts are largely up to your tastes and I suspect they would be fine.

As for how long to cure, it depends on the thickness of your pork piece. 10 days would be fine for 2 inches and I would go 14 days for 3 inches.

Pops is the real expert on brining bacon and you might want to check with him.

Makes. 3 pounds of bacon

Ingredients

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 cup of kosher salt

1 gallon distilled water

I think I might of misread what you were saying. If you were doing two 4 pound loins in 2 gallons of water, you would have 8 pound of meat and 16 gallons of water. This would be a total of 24 pounds and would need 2.8 teaspoons of prague powder.

Hey Disco. That BACK bacon looks great. Love the stuff.
You're about a good week ahead of me--i have a full loin cut into 4 pieces curing in the fridge right now.
POINT
Gary
Thanks, Gary. We'll educate those 'mericans yet! I look forward to your bacon post!

I guess you could say it would like going to Ireland and asking for Irish stew. They'd probably smack ya.

I guess you could say it would like going to Ireland and asking for Irish stew. They'd probably smack ya.
Being an Irish Canadian who has been to Ireland, no smacking. They will just smile and serve you more stew!

Have some back bacon curing right now, probably smoking this weekend. I used TQ for the cure, since I don't mind the saltiness, and I'm also doing some of Bear's extra smoky belly bacon at the same time.

Have some back bacon curing right now, probably smoking this weekend. I used TQ for the cure, since I don't mind the saltiness, and I'm also doing some of Bear's extra smoky belly bacon at the same time.
Excellent choice. It was Bear who got me into all this!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky