Baby Backs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

aschmiesing

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 20, 2014
Need some ideas on doing 4 racks of bb on Xmas Eve. Here's the deal though. I have to work until 10am, I have church from 3-4 and family wants to eat at 5:30ish. Should I smoke for 2 hrs before church, wrap and oven for 2 hrs during church, and finish on the grill for an hr after church? Will this work out ok?

Need some ideas on doing 4 racks of bb on Xmas Eve. Here's the deal though. I have to work until 10am, I have church from 3-4 and family wants to eat at 5:30ish. Should I smoke for 2 hrs before church, wrap and oven for 2 hrs during church, and finish on the grill for an hr after church? Will this work out ok?
It might help to know what your smoking on and at what temp. My suggestion? Go NAKED!!! Start 'em around 1 pm (maybe earlier....I've never done naked so I'm sure someone will chime in with an actual cook time) at 225 and they should be done around 5:30 or so. When you get home from church you could always kick up the heat a bit to finish.

Thanks all, it's a vertical propane smoker, little worried about it holding temp for an hr and a half while I'm gone. Too expensive to mess up supper as well!

Hopefully this goes to themule69, In conversations with a long time smoker at work he contends that he does wonderful with wrapping meats in foil and poking some holes in it and that the smoking process only happens in the first 30 to 60 minutes.  Wanted your advice but I am cutting a pork loin in half and trying both ways tomorrow.

I personally do not believe the smoking process only happens in the first 30 to 60 minutes.  I do think you can do like you planned, in the smoker for two hours, in the oven for two hours and finish the last hour on the smoker.  My smoker holds the set temp very well so I would not be afraid to leave them on the smoker while I was away but I understand your fear so the oven is the way to go.

Considering your restraints on monitoring time, this process should work perfectly...The only drawback is that the oven will not offer any additional smoke flavor.

Good luck,  John

Hopefully this goes to themule69, In conversations with a long time smoker at work he contends that he does wonderful with wrapping meats in foil and poking some holes in it and that the smoking process only happens in the first 30 to 60 minutes.  Wanted your advice but I am cutting a pork loin in half and trying both ways tomorrow.
It may work for him but it does not work like that for me. I can and have added smoke the whole time. The holes in the foil are going to let steam out. I have cold smoked bacon for more that 40 hours.

Ribs at 2 hours

ribs at 4.5 hours this was no foil at all

If you think they look the same he is correct.

If they look different find a new source for information.

Happy smoken.

David

I was in a similar situation, doing butts, I had my brother come over gave him a crash course and tend the fire till I got back.

Get a babysitter!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky