BABY BACKS AND AMNPS IN MES 30

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PAS

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
N.E. OHIO
Yesterday I got to try out my new AMNPS (competition blend pellets) I used the 3-2-1 method with a foil wrap for the 2 hr session. The pellet smoker sure is a game changer and it worked flawlessly. Nice to have a 3hr break from the OEM chip loader!
BABY BACKS-1- 7-13-18.jpg
BABY BACKS- 7-13-18.jpg

Looks awesome!

Yup,the Amazen products absolutely are a game changer.The only time I ever used the chip loader was during seasoning and that is only because the smoker arrived before my AMNTS!

Those look great! Sometime try a rack or two at 275° for 3.5-4 hours naked the whole time and see what you think. Especially with spares. The insulated electric smokers have a less drying effect than others so unrapped smoking in these give a smokey, juicy result and nice bark.

Reactions: chopsaw
Those are some mighty fine looking ribs!!! Like
Congrats on your carousel ride.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got to try out my new AMNPS (competition blend pellets) I used the 3-2-1 method with a foil wrap for the 2 hr session. The pellet smoker sure is a game changer and it worked flawlessly. Nice to have a 3hr break from the OEM chip loader!
View attachment 370741 View attachment 370742
Great looking ribs and congrats on the carousel! What did ya think of the smoke flavor from the AMNPS? I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on one but I’ve always wondered if there was a difference in flavor between chips and pellets.

Thanks everyone for the nice compliments!! Still a newbie at this, every time I use it is like a new experiment. I am very pleased with the smoke flavor I think it is more consistent then the chip/loader but the nicest thing is the fact I dont have to sit here and feed the thing chips!

Carousel?

Last edited:
Those ribs look fantastic,

Point for sure.

Chris

Great looking ribs and congrats on the carousel! What did ya think of the smoke flavor from the AMNPS? I’ve been thinking about pulling the trigger on one but I’ve always wondered if there was a difference in flavor between chips and pellets.

With Chips or chunks in an MES, it won't start Smoking until you get the temp up pretty high, and then you get:
No Smoke, to Light Smoke, to Heavy Smoke, to TOO Heavy Smoke, to Heavy Smoke, to Light Smoke, to put some more in, to The Same Cycle again & again. That "TOO Heavy Smoke" part can cause Bitter Taste!!

With the AMNPS, you Fill it, light one end, get it burning properly, put it in your smoker, and sit back & relax while you get up to 11 straight hours of Perfect Smoke, without touching it. Tastes Great !!!

Bear

PAS, Great looking ribs! Like for sure. Carousel you ask? Check out the main photos that rotate on the home page... you made the Carousel!
Thanks for the education. I just thought the latest posts go there!

With Chips or chunks in an MES, it won't start Smoking until you get the temp up pretty high, and then you get:
No Smoke, to Light Smoke, to Heavy Smoke, to TOO Heavy Smoke, to Heavy Smoke, to Light Smoke, to put some more in, to The Same Cycle again & again. That "TOO Heavy Smoke" part can cause Bitter Taste!!

With the AMNPS, you Fill it, light one end, get it burning properly, put it in your smoker, and sit back & relax while you get up to 11 straight hours of Perfect Smoke, without touching it. Tastes Great !!!

Bear
Thanks Bear. As long as the flavor is still there I’m game.

Where do you put your amnps in the mes30. I have been having to put it on a upper rack, doesn’t fit under the water pan and if I put it on a lower shelf I’ve had juices drip and put it out.

Where do you put your amnps in the mes30. I have been having to put it on a upper rack, doesn’t fit under the water pan and if I put it on a lower shelf I’ve had juices drip and put it out.

It depends on which Generation MES you have.
Generation #1----on the support rods to the left of the chip burner.
Gen #2.5----On the bottom rack all the way on the right, with the chip dumper pulled out 2 or 3" for air flow.

As for the dripping on the AMNPS:
No matter where you put it, if you have Meat above it, you need to protect it.
I just cut a 9" X 11" foil pan in half, turn it upside down, and put it above the AMNPS. Save the other half for when the first half needs replacement. (Like Below):
Generation #1 MES position of my AMNPS:
DSC03985.jpg

Generation #2.5 MES position of my AMNPS:
IMG_2000.jpg

Last edited:

This is one of the reasons I don't use the tray and use the AMNTS(tube) instead.Check out the link in my signature,3rd pic.No need for excess foil and tents,simplicity at its best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky