Babi guling.Balinese roast pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

moikel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sydney &Greenwell Point Australia
I talked about this a while back then did an adaption for my roast pigs head thread.I was going to do a whole suckling pig in my wood fired oven but its total fire ban here & still high alerts for the mountains an hour west of me. Lot of smoke haze & smell of burnt  forest ,or worse.

So I am going to do it with a big bit of pork belly like DaveOmack did with loin,roll it up around the paste of herbs etc.String it roast it.

I could try to do it in MES but everybody is so jumpy about smoke that its better in the oven.

I have had to change it around a bit ,no surprises there
biggrin.gif
,but I can't get 2 ingredients.Salam leaf (Indonesian bay) & kencur powder .

I have everything else including fresh turmeric & home grown kaffir lime leaf & galangal.

I will get some photos up as I go. Its hugely popular in Bali where Aussies holiday in huge numbers,Bali being Hindu not moslem there are a lot of pork dishes.Anthony Bourdains feature was very kindly posted by DaveOmack in my earlier thread.I can't roast it over coconut husks or coffee wood but I can get the other flavours pretty close.

Hi Mick,

I'm sorry to hear about your continued fire and smoke threats. But it is reassuring to me that you are planning delicious food.....all is right in the world!

I'll definitely be watching and am excited to hear how this comes out for you. I picked up 10 lbs of pork belly from a local farmer just today, tentatively planned for bacon but always open to new ideas. Looking forward to reading more from you!!

Have a great Sunday!
Clarissa

Having computer issues lost post x2 ,so I put photos in first.

I took the ribs of a 2+kg bit of belly.

My version of the paste is this: grated,pounded together,fresh ginger,galangal,turmeric,thumb size bits. 4 cloves of garlic,juice & rind of a lime.1 stick lemongrass,roots off a bunch of cilantro,6 red chilli,2 tabs shrimp paste,6 kaffir lime leaves,sprinkle of salt.

Grate another bit of fresh turmeric into some coconut water.Let that stand.

Finely chop 4 red shallots,fry in pan with some coconut oil.Add paste stir then I gave it a light touch of this brand of curry powder

I then layered paste on belly & rolled it.On my own & its a 2 person job so tying is a little rough.
biggrin.gif
Gave ends a rub with paste,then poured turmeric water over the whole thing & put it in fridge for the next 3 hours.

I will take it out at some point let it dry then rub it with some coconut oil & salt. Let it dry.

The recipe I have doesn't have curry powder or shrimp paste BUT I did see shrimp paste on the TV version.I had to wing it because there is no substitute for salem leaf or kencur.

popcorn.gif
......     This looks to be good....    galangal and kaffir lime leaves are out....   galangal probably because I'd puke, from what I hear...   also heard once you get past the odor, you got it lic...........        

Dave

popcorn.gif
......     This looks to be good....    galangal and kaffir lime leaves are out....   galangal probably because I'd puke, from what I hear...   also heard once you get past the odor, you got it lic...........        

Dave
I don't find it that strong.I think if its young fresh,juicy its better.I just planted it from the stuff I bought & it grew.

Thats the fresh turmeric in coconut water.

I got in out of the frig,rubbed a bit of coconut oil on it then healthy sprinkle of salt.

I think I will cook it on a rack over the coconut water.

Its not the neatest correct entry
laugh1.gif
,got a little off centre on the roll part but I am on my own & couldn't improve on that.Wont change the taste.

I will rub cut ends again with paste.

I have kaffir limes in tubs here & one in the ground down at the fishing shack. Lovely flavour from the leaf,fruit another ball game altogether really tricky ingredient. If I  had more time I might have brined the meat for a couple of hours then started again from scratch.

I know Leah likes her wine matches so with this I am drinking a bottle of Spinifex Espirit .Made by Aussie crew with French connections in our Barossa Valley.Shiraz 36%,Grenache 26 % ,mataro25% ,carignan7% ,cinsault 6 %. Very classic southern Rhone but done here very well.

Done.

Skin was crisp
yahoo.gif
 had that coconut flavour with hints of turmeric.

The stuffing inside was great I already know I like the flavours but the fact that its belly & you get the moisture from the fat just makes it sing.

If galangal was a bit strong you could lose it & the overall product would be fine. Its just a version of stuffed pork .The European tradition could be dried fruit,nuts .hooch ,nutmeg style, or fennel seed ,rosemary,garlic.

This is just the way they do it a little north of here
biggrin.gif

Belly is the business .Aussie speak,it stays really moist & you get the amalgam of fat with the herbs & spices.

Sorry for the low grade photos but I was trying to watch the last episode of Kakadu , a brilliant doco about our truly mind blowing National Park in the tropical Northern Territory.

I don't know if it will turn up in the states but its really worth a look.Its reality TV without the BS .Really extraordinary place that I have been to.If you are a wild life /outdoors fan its really worth watching.

Its our version of Alaska ,its remote,weather extremes,indigenous people out number white folks,lots of animals that think you are lunch,great fishing ,you get the picture
biggrin.gif

Holy WOW! You're very right in that I LOVE this! It looks delicious! And you deserve SO VERY MUCH CREDIT for whipping this up under the atrocities of fire laden Australia right now and with conditions being so!

Just beautiful Moikel! And your wine pick as well! I actually think that the Grenache in there and believe it or not the tiny splash of Cinsault would add the most balance to the seasoning and entire savory mystique of this dish. WELL DONE!

Happy Sunday to you! This was absolutely beautiful! Cheers! - Leah

Holy WOW! You're very right in that I LOVE this! It looks delicious! And you deserve SO VERY MUCH CREDIT for whipping this up under the atrocities of fire laden Australia right now and with conditions being so!

Just beautiful Moikel! And your wine pick as well! I actually think that the Grenache in there and believe it or not the tiny splash of Cinsault would add the most balance to the seasoning and entire savory mystique of this dish. WELL DONE!

Happy Sunday to you! This was absolutely beautiful! Cheers! - Leah
Fires aren't effecting me directly ,hardship for plenty but I am under no illusions about how lucky I am.
I have been wanting to do this recipe for ages,just like the flavour profile. That Salem leaf is intriguing but I not locatable yet.
It's a combination that's very recognisable once you taste it,& it's identifiable as Balinese not Thai etc.
We do a lot of Southern Rhone style wines here ,called GSM here Grenache,Shiraz,mataro. All grapes that handle our seasons ,very food friendly. Also easier to drink We have vines here that were planted in the 1830s that have survived,Shiraz mostly but some Grenache too.

Looks great, Mick! :yahoo:

Belly is a great cut....I'm getting to where I'd rather use the jowl to make bacon, and save the belly for braising and roasting.

Did you score the skin? And can you give specifics of how you cooked it (with liquid or not, oven temp, etc.)? I've been hit-or-miss on getting my skin to crisp up....sometimes it comes out hard and leathery.

Beautiful color on that skin. Everything looks just fantastic. Have a great Sunday!!
Clarissa

Your wine access is an incredible blessing in itself! And I do send well wishes regarding these fires of yours too. Here's to the "good!" You certainly brought that, via your table! Thank you for sharing! Cheers! - Leah

Looks great, Mick!
yahoo.gif

Belly is a great cut....I'm getting to where I'd rather use the jowl to make bacon, and save the belly for braising and roasting.

Did you score the skin? And can you give specifics of how you cooked it (with liquid or not, oven temp, etc.)? I've been hit-or-miss on getting my skin to crisp up....sometimes it comes out hard and leathery.

Beautiful color on that skin. Everything looks just fantastic. Have a great Sunday!!
Clarissa
I find that that salting it then letting it sit uncovered in the frig sucks the moisture out of skin. I let to sit uncovered for a couple of hours. The coconut water helped I am sure .

Didn't score it,hit hard in the oven sitting on a rack maybe 220 c first 40 minutes then turned it down to 190c.

I had water in the pan,went 2 hours & was perfect .Was a decent  lump of meat too.

Fresh turmeric water rub gives it that golden colour. 

Belly is very popular here in restaurants to the point where critics write "isn't there some other part of the pig to cook"
biggrin.gif

I just love that it doesn't dry out. 

I wouldn't change a thing about that preparation. I think rolling it decreases risk of paste burning & the flavours spread through meat from inside out.

Glad you liked it.

That looks so good....   I just had my first pork belly, that was cooked like Chinese BBQ pork.....  Willey had just done some....    anywho, the belly is sooo good when cooked like stuff you really like, it's amazing....  

Very nice tutorial and presentation...  Good one Mick.....  

Dave

Wow Mik, that looks fantastic! Wish I could grow Kafir Limes. I'm lucky to find frozen Kafir lime leaves every once in a while. I use them in my thai pumpkin stew.

Wow Mik, that looks fantastic! Wish I could grow Kafir Limes. I'm lucky to find frozen Kafir lime leaves every once in a while. I use them in my thai pumpkin stew.
They are a great ingredient. They graft the kaffir lime onto other rootstock,I think
biggrin.gif
. I use it a lot in summer when I  make those thai/viet salads. Sydney is getting warmer ,no question. Once upon a time green thumb types planted their tropical stuff near brick walls so you got a bit of a micro climate from the retained warmth .Italians in my suburb grow mango,paw paw(papaya) avocado & bananas no problem. Mango's ripen late in season ,dont always set fruit every year & you have to fight off the fruit bats but still worth it.

Man.. stupid busy with work.. I missed this. Looks great Mick! Glad the fires didnt burn ya down... or..glad you didnt start them with some rogue cook flames...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky