• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BandCollector

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
In all the years I have been a member, I have chuckled at some of the usernames and avatars that accompany them.

Some are self explanatory, but others are a bit of a mystery as to what they mean or represent.

I thought it would be fun to post your avatar and username with a brief explanation of what it means .

Mine is BandCollector BandCollector .

I have been an avid Canada goose hunter for the past 50 years and have been lucky enough to collect leg bands (used to monitor the migration of the geese) in Pennsylvania, Missouri, Virginia, Maryland, and Canada. I recently gave up hunting because my best friend and lifelong hunting buddy developed rheumatoid arthritis and is unable to walk well enough to get into the field.

So, What's Yours?

John

Last edited:
A long time ago, in a land far away that goes by the name of Nova Scotia, there around a fire sat a group of drunken skydivers.
One of them lamented the lack of Mexican skydivers, and an idea sprang forth in his mind.
He leaped to his feet with a bottle of Cuervo Gold in hand and proclaimed, "From now on I shall be known as Cuervo Rodriguez!"
And thus the skydiving brotherhood of 'The Rodriguez Brothers' was born.
Many a skydiver since has taken upon themselves a Mexican name after making a jump with another Rodriguez Bro.

I am ChileRelleno Rodriguez, #414.
The name ChileRelleno became my regular online username and real life nickname, which was shortened to Chile.

My avatar is the Rodriguez Brothers mascot, Habanero Rodriguez.
You can see Habanero on many of our shirts.

Some of the Brethren and I.
Kneeling, second from right, wearing sombrero.
16648_1140432237777_1436564509_30318044_3268449_n.jpg

Last edited:
Our family cabin was on Slick Rock Mt. near Brevard, NC. My dad built it when he retired and worked his fingers to the bone by digging and hauling up stones to build walls and terraces for garden beds. He also built a very nice stacked stone grill and fire pit that served up many family meals. From that, SlickRockStones! My avatar is my ‘05 big wheeled kettle with stainless grates , baskets and rotisserie. 26” kettle with Slow-n-Sear XL.

Last edited:
I am an enhanced diesel pickup and tractor enthusiast. The handle grew out of diesel fuel power and my fooling around with modifications.
I thought the handle fit for this forum, too. I have used over a dozen woods for cooking and smoking plus many different smokers.

Avatar is my last trip to Florida. I was grilling supper for us at the timeshare resort. Sign warning of alligator and snake was beside the grill and lapping the lake.

Well my avatar is a big B, just cuz I haven't added a pic yet, but will get around to it when I find the right one. But my name came from part of our lifestyle. We have been going to rendezvous for about 30 years...which is a reenactment of the Lewis and Clark time period...buckskinners, mountain men. Sometimes we say it's like going to a family reunion with the side of the family we like. But you end up getting a camp name for something you do. Well years ago I was a plumber...didn't like dealing with cast iron pipe...but at rendezvous playing games...CI skillet toss, yes, I broke the handle off...thus my name. Which at rendezvous it didn't stick, so I'm still Ryan. My wife's camp name is...yellow thunder...from about 25 years ago (there's a story behind that too!) My daughters camp name is...Running Fawn...given to her by our good friend Tatanka (RIP my friend Kent) He just passed away about 3 weeks ago. But anyway...that's where my name came from.

Ryan

At one point as a Culinary Instructor there were Two Chef Jim's at the school. The kids started calling me Chef JimmyJ. The other just Chef Jim. I took mine to Facebook so student could contact me and, eventually, anywhere else needing a member name. The avatar is just Clip art. Under the old format the words, " WHAT THIN BLUE SMOKE??? " Were next to the pic...JJ

One of the first things I was taught when I began my carpentry apprenticeship at the age of 17 was how to make a proper sawhorse. There's actually a formula on height and length, everything cut on a 3&12 , mortised in, and gusseted. Anyway, I made scores of them for the job, Xmas presents to friends and family, and when I got my contractors license my company was named Sawhorse Construction Co. My avatar is my springer spaniel, Bob. RAY

A long time ago in a land far away that goes by the name of Nova Scotia, there around a fire set sat a group of drunken skydivers.
One of them lamented the lack of Mexican skydivers, and an idea sprang forth in his mind.
He leaped to his feet with a bottle of Cuervo Gold in hand and proclaimed, "From now on I shall be known as Cuervo Rodriguez!"
And thus the skydiving brotherhood of the Rodriguez Brothers were born, with many a skydiver taking upon them a Mexican name after making a jump with another Rodriguez Bro.

I am ChileRelleno Rodriguez, #414.
The name ChileRelleno became my regular online username and real life nickname, which was shortened to Chile.

My avatar is the Rodriguez Brothers mascot, Habanero Rodriguez.
You can see Habenero on many of our shirts.

Some of the Brethren and I.
Kneeling, second from right, wearing sombrero.View attachment 464416

Chili,

That story is amazing and I'm glad you included a photo because without the photo it defies belief!. . .LOL!

Thanks,

John

I was told years ago that my last name looked somewhat like "alligator" - personally I don't think so - and that's what it was until it was shortened to "gator". The 240 is my fire company accountability tag number.
My avatar is a picture of my best four legged boy, Buddy, or as he was often called "BudBear" that we had to put to sleep last May.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky