Australia day lamb shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

natej

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 11, 2017
Victoria, Australia
Well today 26th Jan is a national public holiday in the land of OZ, we celebrate Australia day which is the landing of the first British fleet in 1788 and the birth of our great nation.

The nations tradition is to eat lamb, here is one of the older commercials that get put into circulation around Australia day

Pulled lamb is on the menu today, smoked on the stick burner over redgum at 275 - 300 unwrapped the whole time and rubbed with some salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, fennel seed, thyme and rosemary

At 203 it was probing super tender so into a cooler to rest.. there isn' really much too it, they cook exactly the same as a pork butt

Some tzatziki made by the first lady of the house and dinner is complete

20180125_211549.jpg
20180126_183452.jpg
20180126_183850.jpg
20180126_184528.jpg

Really nice, lamb tacos !! I must try this sometime, really unique cut of meat to pull and wrap !!! I especially love the looks of that tzatziki sauce...yummy !!! POINT

My goodness, that looks fantastic!
I love both the lamb & the sauce!
It just doesn't get much better than that!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Good on ya!

I my fare share of lamb on Australia day in 2008 at Federation Square in Melbourne. I tried every stand that sold it and had a blast that day!

Cheers to our Australian pals on they're national day. (Toasting you all with my beer).

I have very little experience with lamb but that is an exceptional looking cut of meat and what you and your lady did with it looks fantastic. Thumbs up to you both.

Great looking plate... I love good lamb.... I'm going to have to try Pulled Lamb...

You really should try it, I find that we never use a finishing sauce because the flavor of the lamb we love and the fat keeps it nice and moist

That's some Jumbuck mate! Tell the first lady she did great with the Tzatziki also :D

Haha will do mate! Cheers

Really nice, lamb tacos !! I must try this sometime, really unique cut of meat to pull and wrap !!! I especially love the looks of that tzatziki sauce...yummy !!! POINT

Thanks mate! I was wondering one day that if the shoulder on a pig and a cow can be cooked to pull then why not a lamb? Tried it and haven't looked back! It truely is my favourite way to eat lamb.. my wife loves making sauces and her tzatziki is SO much better than store bought

Anybody else just have their "gotta make that" list just get longer? Looks outstanding! Great work.

Haha mine seems to get longer every time I visit this site! Cheers mate

My goodness, that looks fantastic!
I love both the lamb & the sauce!
It just doesn't get much better than that!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Thankyou sir! We sure do love lamb.. it is a staple for lots of Aussies, every single butcher and supermarket has entire lamb sections

Agree with all of the above.
Nice plate.

Cheers mate!

Pulled lamb...one of the meals i would request on the death row.

Yours look awesome.

Happy Oz day.

Haha lamb sure is last meal worthy! Thanks my friend

Good on ya!

I my fare share of lamb on Australia day in 2008 at Federation Square in Melbourne. I tried every stand that sold it and had a blast that day!

Ahh yeah cant go outside on Australia day without smelling lamb on a Barbie somewhere cooking

OOOOOH! Man that looks great! Yum! Great looking bark! Points!

Thanks mate! I love the way the lamb fat renders and mixes with the rub.. sensational

Cheers to our Australian pals on they're national day. (Toasting you all with my beer).

I have very little experience with lamb but that is an exceptional looking cut of meat and what you and your lady did with it looks fantastic. Thumbs up to you both.

Haha cheers my friend! Lamb has a very unique flavor, the shoulders cook virtually identical to pork butts except the fat is a little more greasy

I wanted to try this today so yesterday I picked up a package clearly marked "lamb shoulder". I got it prepped and put it on the smoker just now. However, there were more bones than I have seen in any of the pictures of lamb shoulder. I check the package again and it says lamb shoulder "chop ready", did I get ribs? Either way the thing is already on the smoker, but will this still work for pulled lamb?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky