Auber WS-1211H SCORE!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normanaj

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 2, 2014
Rhode Island
Found an Auber WS-1211H at a local family hardware store for $49.99!Brand new in the box but the only thing missing is the hanger for the probe but I've many of those.I looked it up online and these go for $129!

Even though the MES is working fine it's PID time for that price!

My MES 30 has the two access panels in the back with screws so access is super easy.Next good day of weather this kid's going for it. tallbm tallbm be prepared for a question or two!

Found an Auber WS-1211H at a local family hardware store for $49.99!Brand new in the box but the only thing missing is the hanger for the probe but I've many of those.I looked it up online and these go for $129!

My MES 30 has the two access panels in the back with screws so access is super easy.Next good day of weather this kid's going for it. tallbm tallbm be prepared for a question or two!
Hahaha congrats on the find, that is a heck of a score!!!

If you have 2 panels on the back then you are more than set to rewire and keep your MES30 running for a looooong time.

The rewire is done at a panel on the bottom, though I would highly recommend that while you are doing this you check all your connectors at the safety rollout limit switch and the element and replace any that are corroding.

These crimp easily:

These are right angle that solder and fit better at the heating element side of things if you have a soldering setup, if not you can work with the crimping ones:

Let us know when you get started and ask any questions you have. You'll be rocking that PID soon! :D

Reactions: Fueling Around
Super crappy weather coming up tonight well into tomorrow so this will wait until Sunday or the following weekend.This is the second major score I've gotten from this place after my Weber firepit many moons ago.

Super crappy weather coming up tonight well into tomorrow so this will wait until Sunday or the following weekend.This is the second major score I've gotten from this place after my Weber firepit many moons ago.
Yeah bad weather all around the country.
I think I'll be ok and may look to start enough little project. Just completed one I started yesterday with all the goodies I bought for myself during the holiday sales weekend. Looking to keep the trend going!

The crazy thing I bought this particular MES in 2017 brand new at Wallyworld for $69 off the shelf.In the end this will really only have cost me about $130 round trip.

Reactions: chopsaw
Don't have a MES but many electric smokers have built in failure points.

These are right angle that solder and fit better at the heating element side of things if you have a soldering setup, if not you can work with the crimping ones:
In anything electric a tight corrosion free connection is your best friend.
Loose connections create heat.
I lost my Big Chief element due to loose connection not caught in time.

Reactions: tallbm
The crazy thing I bought this particular MES in 2017 brand new at Wallyworld for $69 off the shelf.In the end this will really only have cost me about $130 round trip.
Hell of a deal!

Hell of a deal!
I thought this model did not have enough power for the MES's?

I thought this model did not have enough power for the MES's?
I think they're 1400 watts , and made to work with a Bradley smoker . Has an extra plug in for the disc feed . Should work just fine . For 50 bucks it will work great . I think comments have been made to get the higher wattage if spending full price . I would have been all over that for the money .

I think they're 1400 watts , and made to work with a Bradley smoker . Has an extra plug in for the disc feed . Should work just fine . For 50 bucks it will work great . I think comments have been made to get the higher wattage if spending full price . I would have been all over that for the money .
I looked and its 1200. Might just take longer to heat up.

The 30s element is 800 watts and this unit is rated at 1440max according to the sticker on the bottom.

It also did not come with a manual but I was able to download it so no big deal there.

Going to swing back thru the store and get some of those connectors that tallbm tallbm recommended.Hopefully I can get this done at some point this weekend as like to have it up running before the holiday weekends coming up.

Really looking forward to upping my game and trying new things that I would not have been able to do before.

Nice score, welcome to Team Auber. I honestly didn't expect too much from the move but it's a total game changer. Things that I ran in the past would take all day and get me frustrated with stalls or falling IT temps now are quicker and consistent. One crazy thing is feel the smoke profile is better from the consistent temp/air flow. Good luck on the mod. It's actually quite simple. I did a 325F test burn for like an hour and cooked off some crud and cleaned up the smoker.

Reactions: normanaj and tallbm
That must of been the 40 I was thinking of. You will love it. I also use a smart plug with mine so I can shut down remote if need to.
Yeah the MES40 is what you are thinking of. It's simpler to just get a 1500 series Auber and never worry about which MES it can support.

The 1200 series of Aubers can support the MES30, but to me are too close for comfort in specs when supporting an MES40.

I prefer simple and foolproof, especially when helping folks who are less "in the know" about this stuff :)

That was a hell of a find for the price that normanaj normanaj found AND supports his exact situation well :)

If anyone is worried about the amperage threshold on a solid state relay, it is quite easy to add an old school electro-mechanical relay. I get 40 amp 2 pole Packard relays for about $15

Was getting ready to do this and then it started to drizzle.

This is pic of what my MES wiring looks like.Going to need a little help in identifying what wires are what as this looks different from tallbm tallbm simple rewire thread.

Attachments

• 20221217_100511_HDR.jpg
    20221217_100511_HDR.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 22
This is pic of what my MES wiring looks like.Going to need a little help in identifying what wires are what as this looks different from tallbm tallbm simple rewire thread.
Norm , you in the bottom or the back ?
That looks like the back . You need to be in the bottom .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky