At the Crossroads of Smoking and Whiskey - Bourbonites Unite!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How did they turn out, bgosnell?  I didn't get to do any smoking this weekend.  I was busy building an UDS for a buddy of mine.  I just need to build the coal basket and I'm done.  Anxious to see how well it run.

I did buy a brisket this weekend, too.  It'll probably go in the fridge tonight to start thawing out and I'll cook it on Saturday.  I'm torn on whether or not to try any bourbon flavor in it.  I've only done one brisket before and, while it turned out pretty good, I haven't found a good baseline, yet.

Might do a pork butt, too, just so I can do some bourbon experimentation.  Worst case scenario, I'll just drink the stuff ;).

How did they turn out, bgosnell?  I didn't get to do any smoking this weekend.  I was busy building an UDS for a buddy of mine.  I just need to build the coal basket and I'm done.  Anxious to see how well it run.

I did buy a brisket this weekend, too.  It'll probably go in the fridge tonight to start thawing out and I'll cook it on Saturday.  I'm torn on whether or not to try any bourbon flavor in it.  I've only done one brisket before and, while it turned out pretty good, I haven't found a good baseline, yet.

Might do a pork butt, too, just so I can do some bourbon experimentation.  Worst case scenario, I'll just drink the stuff ;).

They didn't turn out very good. They had a strange flavor. I thought the sweetness of the apple juice and honey would pair well with it, but not so much. They also were dry, no fault of the bourbon.

I'm doing a 13 lb brisket on Saturday and was thinking of making some extra burnt ends out of the point.  I normally see them put in a shallow pan of sorts with a little "juice" and put back in the smoker.  Thought this would be a good chance to try a little rye or bourbon mixed with the drippings for the burnt ends to sit in.

Does anyone else make burnt ends out of the point?  What is your method?  Best I can tell, I can cook the whole thing until the flat is probe tender, then cut the flat off to wrap and rest while I cube the point and put it back in for a couple hours to turn in to burnt ends.  Sound about right?

1st time for me, so any and all advice is appreciated.  

Old Fitzgerald 1849 straight Kentucky bourbon, reasonably priced, very smooth, I sip it over ceramic rocks kept in the freezer.
I have never heard of this ceramic rocks kept in the freezer, sounds brilliant!  Is this your idea or do I just live under a rock and everybody is doing it?

lurk.gif

I've heard them called whiskey stones and whiskey rocks.  Most decent liquor stores sell them (at least around here).  Worth it if you like to sip chilled whiskey.

Mine are in the freezer now.

I've heard them called whiskey stones and whiskey rocks.  Most decent liquor stores sell them (at least around here).  Worth it if you like to sip chilled whiskey.

I haven't tried them, but have looked at them several times... add that to my Christmas list with the new Maverick that is coming out.

Smoker prep has just begun for tomorrow's cook.  Getting the smoker completely ready so that at 3:00 a.m., I can just get the coals lit and have the meat ready when it gets up to temp.

Not sure how long this thing'll take, but I don't have a deadline.  Simple salt 'n pepper rub, probably, and cooked with a little bit of cherry wood.

I do plan on making some extra burnt ends and have them finish in a little whiskey/beef broth mix.

My last rib smoke I tossed a small sampler bottle of Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey during my foil time. The wife and I thought it added a certain depth of flavor to that batch. I will definitely be using it again in future smoking endeavors. I also used bourbon in the rib glaze and I really liked the flavor of it. I do not drink any hard liquor like whisky, scotch or bourbon or even beer and wine. I just don't find the taste that enjoyable. But I do enjoy cooking with alcohol. 

Bought the little bottle of Buffalo Trace last night. $18 at a place I consider to have reasonable prices for the area.

I was looking to try Old Fitzgerald per a recommendation in this thread, but they didn't have any.

Reactions: bgosnell151
Fun thread!  Too bad it's only 9 AM here on the west coast. Wait, it's noon on the east coast!  Close enough!

I haven't tried using whisky or bourbon when foiling.  Thanks for the idea!

I don't foil my ribs but I've been using Kentucky bourbon in my pork rib sweet sauce for years (commercial SBR's BBQ sauce, Kentucky bourbon, and apricot-pineapple preserves).  Thins it nicely and gives it a great flavor.  Tried using the sweeter Seagram's in the sauce and didn't care for it at all.  Made the sauce too sweet.

And to think i been using the gel filled baby teething rings????

So are mine.
My brother got them for me. They really are great. Chill the bourbon without affecting the flavor at all!

My new favorite bourbon that I've found is Bulleit. My standby bourbon was always either Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve. But this has replaced both. It has a higher rye content than other bourbon, not enough to be considered a rye but enough to really add some warmth. I love it!

I've never cooked with it but I think it's too good for that. Plus I'd be the only one who could eat it cause of the wifey's gluten problems.

Seth

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky