At the Crossroads of Smoking and Whiskey - Bourbonites Unite!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yup. Our first. Congrats to you, too.

He's keeping us up at night, but other than that, he's pretty awesome.
what's going to be funny is when the little one says "yea, me and my Daddy love to smoke together" to the teacher on their first day of school :)

So finally here are the pics of my bourbon smoke last weekend. Been crazy at work this week and am working all weekend, so I won't be smoking or drinking much. As I mentioned before, I did a bunch of stuff this last smoke. Did two butts, a small brisket, and a Cincinnati chili fatty over a hickory/cherry wood combo.

The fatty was a mixture of Cincinnati chili and cheddar cheese in a turkey sausage and bacon blanket. It turned out delicious, but the inside kind of mixed in with the turkey so the fatty deflated a little. Still reminded the wife of home, so it was a win.

The brisket was rubbed with a random mix of sweet and spicy.

One butt was rubbed with a mix of pepper and curry spices. I used JJ's foiling sauce as a finishing sauce for this and the mix of sweet and pepper was pretty nice.

Now for the bourbon butt. I injected this butt for the first time. Used a mixture of wild turkey 101 bourbon and apple cider for the injection. I just kind of eyeballed the amounts to taste but was probably 40% bourbon to 60% cider. before injecting it I let this mixture sit with some Thai hot chili peppers opened up inside. After injecting, I rubbed it with a mix that had a little heat to it. I also occasionally mopped it with the same mix as the injection. The finishing sauce was loosely based off of jj's finishing sauce, but I made it in the mostly empty bourbon bottle. I let that sit (also with the Thai peppers) to soak up a hint of the bourbon flavor. The end result was a delicious piece of meat with a hint of bourbon up front and a tinge of heat on the backside. I would definitely do this again!

Unfortunately I had planned a long smoke, but the weather stopped cooperating so I had to do the last four hours or so inside in the oven!

Anyone know how to start a group on here... we should start a whiskey smoking group.
I was told you could start it yourself but I didn't see how...put a message out to the moderators - especially Pineywoods - and they can help.

I think that the whiskey smoking group is a good idea!

Bill

I certainly will... we should probably name it in your honor
biggrin.gif
Ha ha...there were a handful of us in another thread that got the idea kicked off.

The "Whiskey Smoking Group" is good.  Or just "Whiskey Smokers" or something.  

Now for the bourbon butt. I injected this butt for the first time. Used a mixture of wild turkey 101 bourbon and apple cider for the injection. I just kind of eyeballed the amounts to taste but was probably 40% bourbon to 60% cider. before injecting it I let this mixture sit with some Thai hot chili peppers opened up inside. After injecting, I rubbed it with a mix that had a little heat to it. I also occasionally mopped it with the same mix as the injection. The finishing sauce was loosely based off of jj's finishing sauce, but I made it in the mostly empty bourbon bottle. I let that sit (also with the Thai peppers) to soak up a hint of the bourbon flavor. The end result was a delicious piece of meat with a hint of bourbon up front and a tinge of heat on the backside. I would definitely do this again!

Everything looked great, don't get me wrong, but that bourbon/apple cider recipe sounds awesome.  I will definitely be trying that soon.  Glad you give it the seal of approval.  I'll have to check out JJ's recipe and make the bourbon additions that you did.

Well guys. Still haven't decided on what to smoke this weekend.  Leaning toward spares.  I'll pick up some meat in the morning.

On the more important note, I decided to look at the local store to see how much Buffalo Trace is.  $19.99 for a 750.

On the way out the door, I continued my exploration of cheap bourbon and picked up a 750 of Rebel Yell.  Pretty decent, but nothing spectacular.  Worth $8.99 for a 750.  And since I wasn't sure of that one, I picked up some more Evan 1793 for $11.99. 
beercheer.gif

Well guys. Still haven't decided on what to smoke this weekend.  Leaning toward spares.  I'll pick up some meat in the morning.

On the more important note, I decided to look at the local store to see how much Buffalo Trace is.  $19.99 for a 750.

On the way out the door, I continued my exploration of cheap bourbon and picked up a 750 of Rebel Yell.  Pretty decent, but nothing spectacular.  Worth $8.99 for a 750.  And since I wasn't sure of that one, I picked up some more Evan 1793 for $11.99.  :beercheer:
2 for the price of 1... well played.

2 for the price of 1... well played.
I know I've already said it in this thread, but I cannot stress how good Evan 1793 is for the price.

I implore everyone to try it.

Oh, and 3 racks of spares and some jalapenos/habaneros going on the egg today.

Contemplating doing an Asian rack and 2 standard bbq.

Ribs are cooking now. 3-2-1 method-ish. The 2 was spent foiled with honey, 2 ounces of Buffali Trace and 4 ounces of apple juice.

I had a little over a shot of Pendleton Rye left in the bottle, so it went into Pop's brine with some bacon. Probably not enough to effect the taste, but we'll see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky