Asian keto feast - Mongolian Beef , fried "rice" , Sesame green beans and Coconut curry soup *Pic Heavy*

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I have been thinking about Asian foods for the last week or more so decided today was the day. I am going to make some keto knockoff of P.F. Changs Mongolian beef along with some sesame green beans and peppers and lastly some keto fried “rice”. Shout out to Jennifer Banz at Low Carb with Jennifer for the Mongolian beef recipe. It's a keeper with no changes needed.

Getting right into it I am going to make the Mongolian beef first. This will go in the refrigerator overnight. It definitely takes on the flavors much better after an overnight rest.
  • 2 TBSP Avocado oil
  • 2 TBSP Minced Garlic
  • ½ tsp ground ginger (prefer 4 TBSP fresh but do not have any)
  • ½ tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 cup of Tamari (can sub soy sauce, I like Tamari for lower carb and tastes the same)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 1 ½ cups sugar substitute (I used erythritol which is the same as Swerve)
  • ½ tsp Xanthan gum
  • 3 lbs. of tenderloin tips
  • sacue ingredients.jpg
First I am going to make the sauce. I heated up the avocado oil and tossed in the garlic. Ginger and red pepper flakes and let them sizzle a bit to bring out the fragrance. After that just add the tamari, water and sweetener and simmer for about 5 minutes to thicken some. At the end it will be thickened further , at this stage it is still pretty runny.

sauce in pan.jpg

Now it is time to get some beef ready. I am using Certified Piedmontese Beef tenderloin tips. These things are outrageously tender.

packaged beef.jpg

Nothing fancy on this step, browning in a hot skillet with some avocado oil. Hit them with a little salt and since I am doing Asian I figured MSG was needed LOL, hit it with a little Accent. Did it in a few batches to make sure I got a nice sear on all of them.

cooked tips.jpg

Time to finish it off. I put the sauce back on the burner and added in the ½ tsp of xanthan gum. Stirred for awhile and then added in the beef. I let it simmer for about 10 minutes and decided it was still a tad to runny so added about ¼ tsp more of the xanthan. This ended up being perfect. You have to be careful with this stuff, it’s a great thickener but if you use to much it gets a very slimy mouthfeel.

finished beef.jpg

Next up I am going to work on some soup. Going through the pantry I noticed we had a can of full fat unsweetened coconut milk and immediately thought of Thai coconut chicken curry soup. This is a bit different than what I normally do as I had to roll with ingredients on hand as I am doing my best to social distance and limit trips out. I did not have mushrooms or red curry paste to really just winged this until it tasted great while keeping track of what I did.
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • 1 diced medium onion
  • 2 10 oz. cans of premium chunk chicken breast (yea lazy on this step lol)
  • 1 ½ TBSP curry powder (this amount can vary based on the strength of your spices and your taste)
  • 1 tsp ginger powder
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 1 can full fat unsweetened coconut milk
  • 3 TBSP lime juice
  • 1 ½ TBS fish sauce (has a very small amount of sugar but minimal in grand scheme)
  • 2 TBSP Tamari
  • 1 ½ TBSP Swerve Brown sugar substitute
First up brown the onion and peppers and add in the chicken. Keep cooking and add in the curry, ginger , lime , tamari, fish sauce and Swerve brown.

cooking chicken and peppers.jpg

After letting those flavors develop a bit add in the chicken broth and coconut milk. I let this simmer a good 45 minutes to hour.

soup in skillet.jpg

Cannot have Chinese without fried “rice” right?? Today I am trying out Miracle rice. It is made from the Konjac root. Super low carb high fiber. They make a lot of pasta replacements with it too. The stuff STINKS like ammonia when you first open the pack. A good 20 minutes soak and rinse takes care of that. If you follow the directions with the konjac root based products you can turn out some amazing food.
  • 2 packages of Miracle Rice
  • 1 medium diced onion
  • 1 medium diced green pepper (replaces the green of peas J )
  • ½ lbs. diced lean bacon ( I used my homemade buckboard)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 TBSP garlic
  • 2 -3 tsp Chinese 5 spice
  • 1 TBSP hot chili sesame oil (can just use sesame oil)
  • 2 TBSP Tamari
  • Avocado oil as needed for frying
rice ingredients.jpg

I did not capture pics of this in order but first I browned the bacon, onions and peppers in a little avocado oil. Once it was browned I removed it to a bowl and dumped in the drained rinsed Miracle rice. This step is to cook it to remove the water and moisture from the soak. Once it was dryer I added avocado oil and sesame oil to the pan along with the peppers, onions and bacon. I also added the Tamari and 5 spice. After frying that down to about where I wanted it I added 3 eggs. You only see two in the pic but I decided to add on more. Fried them and then chopped and mixed through.

frying rice.jpg

rice close up.jpg

Last up before its time to eat is green beans. I scored a 28 lbs. case of fresh green beans for $20 so needed to start using them ASAP lol. This was very simple cooking. Fried some red bell pepper in avocado and a lot of sesame oil. Mixed in the green beans and cooked until done. Just that nice nutty taste of the sesame on the beans is delicious.

cooking beans.jpg

Time to eat. Here are some plated shots of the soup and food. Plated the Mongolian Beef inside a oven roasted red pepper and without the pepper. From a taste standpoint I love it with the red pepper. What do you all think from a visual standpoint? Better plated in the pepper or on the plate? Help me up my game lol.

soupbowl2.jpg

beef close up plated.jpg

plated 6.jpg

plated 2.jpg

Well that’s it folks. This for my tastes is a AAA+ keeper. The soup for the starter course was very tasty. A bit different than my normal as I said and somewhat reminiscent of not only curry soup but a touch of hot and sour flavor from the lime and artificial sweetener.

The PF Chang knock off Mongolian beef is incredible. The Miracle rice really turned out great, I strongly prefer its texture to that of cauliflower rice. The beans were nice and fresh and complimented by the fresh red bell pepper and sesame. That’s a wrap thanks for looking!!

Not doing Keto but that looks excellent. In fact I just finished a carnitas burrito and that made me hungry again,

Reactions: jcam222
Oh my God Jeff!! You have totally outdone yourself my friend. That meal looks absolutely amazing. 5-star restaurant AND magazine quality. That is nothing short of incredible. Like Jake, I'd be all over keto for some of that. No idea what prompted you to go that far with a meal, but hats off to you and here's a train car load of quarters for a much deserved rind. So many people could benefit from this...this....simply out-of-this-world meal!!

I might stop drooling before bed time,
Robert

That's a fantastic looking meal! I applaud you on your creativity and especially while keeping it keto friendly. And not to leave out your amazing plating.

Ryan

Jeff, are you sure you’re not a chef doppleganging on here? That meal looks delicious Keto or not!!

In answer to your question, I like the first picture with the mongolian beef inside the red pepper!!

Nice score with the produce.

Like!!

Jeff, are you sure you’re not a chef doppleganging on here? That meal looks delicious Keto or not!!

In answer to your question, I like the first picture with the mongolian beef inside the red pepper!!

Like!!
On the show cooks and cons I’d be the con but I’m working to make it harder to tell lol. Thanks for answering the presentation question. Helps me learn which is something I do on the fly. I am lucky that there is a huge commercial produce operation here. Wholesale to the public right now , my garage is a bounty of goodies :)

Last edited:
Reactions: xray

I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday when I replied the first time. I have to agree with Joe on this one. The color contrast between the meat and the pepper is breathtaking!! Nothing short of amazing across the board but that one pic will make you stop dead in your tracks.

Robert

Damn...I don't even know what else to say!. That looks so good. And not terribly hard to put together either. I like the plated shot not in the pepper personally but hey I am not a pro chef like you :emoji_wink: I am going to save this and maybe try to make a rendition of it on the griddle. Nice job man just fantastic!

Damn...I don't even know what else to say!. That looks so good. And not terribly hard to put together either. I like the plated shot not in the pepper personally but hey I am not a pro chef like you :emoji_wink: I am going to save this and maybe try to make a rendition of it on the griddle. Nice job man just fantastic!
Haha I think maybe I missed my calling, chef would have been cool. Yea I think this is a perfect dish for the griddle.

Dang bud. Looks good. I'd go keto for a meal to get some of that
Excellent. Doing keto myself. Thanks for your recipes.
Not doing Keto but that looks excellent. In fact I just finished a carnitas burrito and that made me hungry again,
Oh my God Jeff!! You have totally outdone yourself my friend. That meal looks absolutely amazing. 5-star restaurant AND magazine quality. That is nothing short of incredible. Like Jake, I'd be all over keto for some of that. No idea what prompted you to go that far with a meal, but hats off to you and here's a train car load of quarters for a much deserved rind. So many people could benefit from this...this....simply out-of-this-world meal!!

I might stop drooling before bed time,
Robert
Fantastic looking meal! That Mongolian beef is a killer! Like! I love chinese cuisine as well as I like to cook chinese dishes...
That's a fantastic looking meal! I applaud you on your creativity and especially while keeping it keto friendly. And not to leave out your amazing plating.

Ryan

Like!!
On the show cooks and cons I’d be the con but I’m working to make it harder to tell lol. Thanks for answering the presentation question. Helps me learn which is something I do on the fly. I am lucky that there is a huge commercial produce operation here. Wholesale to the public right now , my garage is a bounty of goodies :)
Perfection!
I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday when I replied the first time. I have to agree with Joe on this one. The color contrast between the meat and the pepper is breathtaking!! Nothing short of amazing across the board but that one pic will make you stop dead in your tracks.

Robert
Wow Nice meal Jeff, I would be all over that in a nano second.

Vote for the red pepper for contrast.

BIG LIKE!

John
A belated thanks to you all for the kind words!! I believe a few of you have now tried to recipe for the beef. It is a very basic yet delicious sauce for sure. I love it when simple and tasty come together :)

A belated thanks to you all for the kind words!! I believe a few of you have now tried to recipe for the beef. It is a very basic yet delicious sauce for sure. I love it when simple and tasty come together :)

Well ya know Jeff...I actually did make it. Took a slightly different approach to the final outcome (plating primarily) but followed the recipe to a T. It was amazing!!

Pan is kinda yucky looking but the contents are stellar!!
005.jpg

All done
008.jpg

Nothing short of amazing my friend. Cannot begin to tell you how much we enjoyed this. Thanks so much for sharing as this one is in the book for future reference. I'm thinking I may marinate some skirt steak in the sauce and make Bulgogi style tacos. One can only think that would be outstanding!!

Robert

Saving this recipe! Looks awesome and I am always looking for new keto recipes to replace those normal recipes that are the farthest thing from keto.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky