Are "rubs" rubbed in?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backpacker048

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2016
I've seen pictures of a nice even layer of rub on meat, and I've seen a picture of a rub sprinkled over a line of mustard - as in Jeff's recipes.  It makes me wonder: do you rub the rub in or just sprinkle it over a layer of mustard (or whatever) and cook it that way?  Or do you do either/both?

Thanks,

Backpacker

Mustard, mayonnaise, Parkay margarine are rubbed in the meat then seasonings added and rubbed in...  anything with oil or fat in it works good....    or just sprinkle on the seasonings and rub them in.....    Sometimes the rub will fall off is oil or fat isn't added to the meat surface especially if lots of spices are added...

Some BBQ comp folks swear by Parkay... 

.. .. ..

Last edited:
I don't usually use mustard or mayo but I agree that it can be effective. I just apply the rub to the meat and rub it in and then vac pack it before leaving it in the fridge overnight.. 

I agree with Wade rub it on with out any mustard THEN vac pack it overnight. Last rack of ribs I left in in the vac pack for 4 days.

Mucho flavor, going to start doing it that way from now on.

Al

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replys. Not familiar with the term "vac packing". What is it (although it sounds obvious) and how is done?

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replys. Not familiar with the term "vac packing". What is it (although it sounds obvious) and how is done?
I have a foodsaver vacuum machine. It vacuums the meat in a bag or canister. There are several brands on the market & they are very good for leftovers.

Vacuuming & freezing leftovers or fresh meat will keep in the freezer for a year or more without freezer burn.

Al

I agree with Wade rub it on with out any mustard THEN vac pack it overnight. Last rack of ribs I left in in the vac pack for 4 days.

Mucho flavor, going to start doing it that way from now on.

Al
retirement must be treating you well... I am lucky if I plan out a smoke 2 days ahead not to me tonight 4 [emoji]128526[/emoji].
I do agree you do not need mayo or mustard. I use it at times but not always. I did really like the flavor a honey mustard gave me last time.

Vacuum does more than actual rubbing, as it draws the dissolving rub into the muscle.  Any rubbing will essentially keep the spices from falling off the meat in largesse, but doesn't really put it deeper into the meat like the FoodSaver or its kindred.

Hey Al,

You mentioned that there were several good vac machines on the market.  Do you have one that you might suggest?  I'd prefer to go with a "tried and proven" one versus a "pig in a poke".

Thanks,

Backpacker

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky