are pellet smokers don't last for a long time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The manufacturers would not stay in business very long if that were the case. I have had mine for three years and no problems. Welcome to SMF from Minnesota.

If quality components are used and how they are taken care of/stored, are going to dictate how long it will last.

I agree. Anything that plugs into a wall socket will last a lot longer stored inside than one sitting out in the elements. There are electronic components involved, pellet feeders and thermostats, that can malfunction. If you are looking for something that can't break think of getting a stick burner. Good luck and welcome to SMF! RAY

I am not so sure that is an entirely true statement.
We have quite a few members here who own and use pellet grills and smokers with great results.
But like anything, if it is abused or neglected then it won't operate as intended.

I'd say a good Pellet Grill should last longer than a dishwasher or freezer. Those are now made to throw away unfortunately. That's been my luck at least with appliances lately.

I am not so sure that is an entirely true statement.
We have quite a few members here who own and use pellet grills and smokers with great results.
But like anything, if it is abused or neglected then it won't operate as intended.
I never said one will break, I stated that electrical components can fail, and they can. I've got nothing against pellet smokers, a lot of the guys here use them with great success. I investigated getting one before I got my stick burner, decided that's the way I wanted to go. I'd already had my electric Pro 100 for a dozen years or so, now my bases are pretty much covered. Now I'm going to go to Sam's and get a sirloin tip roast to smoke tomorrow on the Pro 100. I'm pretty much going to follow Smokin' Al's method and I don't think I can keep the SQ36 at a stable 225º for 5-6 hours. It's all good! RAY

Unfortunately it's just the nature of the beast. Pellet smokers have electrical parts and mechanical parts. Sometimes these parts don't function as expected. Sometimes they break or wear out unexpectedly. I've seen higher quality items not work right out of the box, and I've seen cheaper models last well beyond their life expectancy. How you maintain it plays a role in it's longevity, but it's not the only variable. My suggestion would be to find a pellet smoker with good honest reviews from forums like this one. Folks around here and in other similar places don't have any financial ties to the company and will give you an honest review. Make sure that their customer support is top notch. You don't want to be ignored or brushed off after your purchase. It's basically a trade off for the convenience of set-it-and-forget-it.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
The manufacturers would not stay in business very long if that were the case. I have had mine for three years and no problems. Welcome to SMF from Minnesota.
hello! thanks, i'm ron from israel. glad i've found these forums

If you look at parts to buy for repair a lot of them say they will fit a bunch of different brands and the $ aren't that bad. I believe a lot of the parts are a standard brand that are used by several makers, where the differences are is the controller programs imo. my pitboss has been great and haven't had a reason to replace any thing. some folks aren't that lucky but if its man made its going to break at some point, nothing is forever imo. don't let the fear of something breaking keep you from trying new ways to cook.

I did have a couple of the temp probes go out of range but that was taken care of without any problems and they are cleaned every cook and hung back up till next time so not sure what happens to them.

One would think that a company that makes pellet smokers and pellets would do their best to make a quality product and give great customer service in times of need so they can get your future business selling you consumables ( pellets ).
This being said like mentioned earlier by others here, many things come into play that will dictate the lifespan of the smoker. To start with how it is maintained, the elements it is used and stored in. how well it was cleaned after using. ( the more complicated grill or smoker you have the harder it will be to maintain and protect it )
I think of my grills and smokers in terms of retail prices that would have been paid for the meals provided. I have a fairly new smoker that I modified to run propane, in the short time I have owned it I consider the smoker to have paid for itself in the great meals we have pulled out of it.

I never said one will break, I stated that electrical components can fail, and they can. I've got nothing against pellet smokers, a lot of the guys here use them with great success. I investigated getting one before I got my stick burner, decided that's the way I wanted to go. I'd already had my electric Pro 100 for a dozen years or so, now my bases are pretty much covered. Now I'm going to go to Sam's and get a sirloin tip roast to smoke tomorrow on the Pro 100. I'm pretty much going to follow Smokin' Al's method and I don't think I can keep the SQ36 at a stable 225º for 5-6 hours. It's all good! RAY

Ray,
My post was meant for the OP and as a response to his statement about pellet poopers being designed to go bad. I just don't think a manufacturer would purposely do that and expect to stay in business for very long.

You are absolutely correct that electrical or mechanical components can fail whether they're on a pellet pooper or a car.

Now, about that sirloin tip, that sounds delicious. Enjoy!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Now, about that sirloin tip, that sounds delicious. Enjoy!

I'm all over it SHS! The tip roast has been in the fridge all night covered with Montreal Steak Seasoning, thought I'd try that stuff out. Now I'm just waiting for the wife to get out of bed so I don't wake her up rolling the Pro 100 from the garage to the backyard. Gonna be a fun day, smoking, football, maybe I'll have a beer! RAY

I'm all over it SHS! The tip roast has been in the fridge all night covered with Montreal Steak Seasoning, thought I'd try that stuff out. Now I'm just waiting for the wife to get out of bed so I don't wake her up rolling the Pro 100 from the garage to the backyard. Gonna be a fun day, smoking, football, maybe I'll have a beer! RAY

That sounds like you have planned out the perfect day!

i've heard they go bad fast becasue the companies want you to buy a new one.
is this true?
Far from it. A number are actually well built and with reasonable care will last. It will come down to how much one is prepared to pay. Obviously the features and build materials of a $300 unit will never equal that of a $2000 or more unit which really can play a key part on longevity. Personally, I went with MAK can could not be more pleased.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky