Apple Pie Baby Backs! with plenty of pics!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Dear SMF Family,
i have been watching Malcolm Reed's YouTube channel as several of you do this pandemic and i saw a recipe i wanted to try....Apple Pie ribs. I made the recipe once a week ago on some St Louis spares. we loved the flavor and i wanted to cook some for my Dad. My Dad loves baby backs so i made some for him with baby backs instead of spares. here is how it turned out.

First we start with a sprinkling of kosher salt for 20-30 minutes
IMG_20200801_055045.jpg

Then i use Heath Riles Apple Rub
IMG_20200801_055359.jpg

I let them sit for an hour before the went on the pit

IMG_20200801_070612.jpg

Onto Suzy Q to start to smoke
IMG_20200801_070721.jpg

Spritzing every 20-30 minutes with apple juice ac vinegar mix
IMG_20200801_081941.jpg

Running right around 250 Degrees
IMG_20200801_083337.jpg

After 2:15 in the smoke they get wrapped with butter and apple butter mix
IMG_20200801_091412.jpg

after 2:15 in the foil they get a nice sauce treatment using a new version of candy apple red sauce
IMG_20200801_111646.jpg

right off the pit the come red and ready to rest...
IMG_20200801_113504.jpg

Sliced both racks of ribs for my family to eat!
IMG_20200802_082025.jpg

well that's my new go to rib recipe apple pie ribs. my wife loves them my mother in law will eat them and they are good all around.
Thanks for looking and any comments i will try to respond and thanks for any likes you would like to leave as always they are appreciated!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Aaron, those ribs look and sound really good. Along the same theme. I make an apple cider reduction that I use on pork tenderloins that I bet would go great on this. Ummm now I want ribs for some reason.
Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: phatbac
These look really good. I've been tooling around an idea for something like this in the fall. I've also thought some kind of maple ribs would be good.
What kind of wood did you use?

That looks to be delicious Aaron, a really nice piece of work and a great cook, Like! RAY

Looks good Aaron. I've also done these. Pretty delicious
They are my scond time and we love em! thanks!

Aaron, those ribs look and sound really good. Along the same theme. I make an apple cider reduction that I use on pork tenderloins that I bet would go great on this. Ummm now I want ribs for some reason.
Point for sure.
Chris

Awesome you'll have to reply with the recipe!

These look really good. I've been tooling around an idea for something like this in the fall. I've also thought some kind of maple ribs would be good.
What kind of wood did you use?
Thank you. I didnt have any apple wood (fruit wood is expensive) i used Red Oak.

That looks to be delicious Aaron, a really nice piece of work and a great cook, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Looks awesome Aaron!
Never thought to use an apple flavor on ribs, but I may be rethinking that!
Nice work!
Al

This thread got me motivated to throw some ribs in the smoker.The only thing apple about mine is the pellet dust I'm smoking with.Wish I had the ingredients to try phatbac's recipe...next time!

Awesome you'll have to reply with the recipe!
Thanks Ray!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

We just use a quart of apple cider, one teaspoon of nutmeg, one teaspoon of cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons of butter. Reduce on low heat until it's has a syrup consistency. Adjust the nutmeg and or cinnamon to your liking. If you think it's too syrupy then add water back in until your happy. Remember to stir constantly while it's over the heat.

Chris

Aaron, looks great! Excellent idea, sound delicious. Gonna have to try this next time I do Spares.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Looks awesome Aaron!
Never thought to use an apple flavor on ribs, but I may be rethinking that!
Nice work!
Al
Thank you they are nice and sweet but not over sweet....

This thread got me motivated to throw some ribs in the smoker.The only thing apple about mine is the pellet dust I'm smoking with.Wish I had the ingredients to try phatbac's recipe...next time!
The rub i found on amazon and everything else from the store i will post the updated candy apple red recipe below..

they really look great Aaron,
Thank you Jim

That puts a new twist on things. Sounds and looks excellent.
thanks!

Wow phatbac those the bs look great.
thank you sir

Aaron, you nailed it!! Looks awesome! Like!
Thank you!

Aaron, looks great! Excellent idea, sound delicious. Gonna have to try this next time I do Spares.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike
The original recipe was with spares...

Looks very tasty. I am getting some impatient waiting for my new offset.
I hear ya but best things come to those who wait!

BTW this is not originally my recipe is was Malcolm Reed's HowToBBQRight I added a few twists
and my sauce recipe is different.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Candy Apple Red Sauce (new and improved)

1 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup ac vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
3 TBS of butter or margarine
2 TBS of Heath Riles Apple Rub ( substitute your own rub if you like)
3 TBS of sweet paprika
3/4 cup turbinado sugar

heat to low boil and let simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. remove from heat and and let cool. allow 2-3 hours in fridge to marry.
To make spicy add 2 tsp of cayenne pepper and add hot paprika instead of sweet.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: MJB05615
Got it. Thanks, definitely gonna do next round of Spares, will let you know how it goes.

Mike

Reactions: phatbac
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky