APPLE JALAPENO RIBS & BBQ SAUCE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebig1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Kingston, PA
I found this recipe on Facebook under a page/blog called "Hey Grill, Hey".  The lovely woman who runs it is quite talented, I must say.  I made these ribs, along with a 9lb butt and Gary's Baked Beans, for a friend and his family who helped me tremendously in the past few weeks.

I must say that after I made the sauce and tried it, I was immediately hooked.  It was so good.  I kept a little bit of the sauce, ordered a bucket of plain wings, and used the sauce on the wings for dinner that night.

NOT MY PICTURES. PICTURES ONLY USED AS REFERENCE

My pictures and food could never look this good.
drool.gif

Instructions

1. Begin by removing the membrane on the back of the ribs.

IMG_7515.jpg

2. Slather both sides of the ribs with the yellow mustard and season liberally with the sweet rub.

20160205_125244.jpg

3. Prepare your smoker for indirect smoking at 225 degrees. F I use apple wood for this recipe. Place the seasoned ribs on the smoker and close the lid. Leave them to smoke for 3 hours.

4. Tear off a large piece of aluminum foil and place it on a large working surface. Transfer the ribs to the foil bone side up so the bones don't tear through the foil. Sprinkle with the brown sugar, top with the butter cut into small pads, and then pour over the apple juice. Once the liquid has settled, top with the sliced jalapenos.

Apple-Jalapeno-Wrapped-Ribs.jpg

5. Tightly crimp the foil together to create an airtight seal. Return to the grill and keep your cooking temperature to as close to 225 degrees as you can get it. Let the ribs braise for 2 hours in the foil.

6. Carefully remove the ribs from the grill and place on a large working surface. Open the foil package (be careful of hot steam) and use tongs to remove the ribs and place them back on the grill, bone side down. Remove the cooked jalapenos from the braising liquid and set aside. Discard the foil and excess cooking liquid.

7. Brush the ribs with the Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce and arrange the jalapeno slices you set aside on top of the ribs. Close the lid of your grill and cook at 225 degrees for an additional hour until the ribs are done to your desired tenderness and the sauce is sticky and set.

Apple-Jalapeno-Sauced-Ribs.jpg

8. Slice into individual ribs and serve with additional sauce on the side.

IMG_1449.jpg

Apple Jalapeno BBQ Sauce

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups Ketchup
  • 1 cup Apple Juice
  • 1/3 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Molasses
  • 1 tablespoon Black Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 tablespoon  Onion Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
  • 1 teaspoon Ground Coriander
  • 1 medium jalapenofinely diced (seeds removed if you want mild sauce)

Instructions

1. In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine. Cook over medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.

2. Transfer to a lidded jar and chill in the refrigerator overnight before using. Will last 2 weeks in the fridge if stored in an airtight container.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinAl
Thank you Al, it's greatly appreciated.  Although my ribs did look amazing, I must be honest in the name of full disclosure, those are not my pictures.  Those are the pictures from the recipe page to use as reference.  In all of my haste while smoking I failed to take adequate pictures for display.  My apologies.  I will say that mine didn't look too much different although I'm sure that mine weren't magazine or blog quality.

Chad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky