Apple/Cherry Woods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok maybe its not the fire wood after all. My wife told me that im going thru a change of life kinda thing. She said at this point im in the Jack-Ass- Itis mode. Maybe thats what my problem is.

Not touching that one with a ten foot pole!!!!!
angel-smiley-008.gif
angel-smiley-008.gif

Marvin, you coming in June? If so I have all the black walnut you want. Also, I use shag-bark hickory. It's pretty rare, but I have a place where I can get it by the butt-load for free. The location shall remain unnamed though. The shag-bark hickory is most definitely the best. It's light and sweet. In fact, though I haven't tried pecan yet, I'm betting the shag-bark hickory is a close match. I'd like to get some mesquite. My Dad is supposed to bring me some from AZ this spring, but we'll see if he remembers.

I have no idea where to get pecan and peach around here, with the exception of online.

Peach sounds good. I bet using peach nectar instead of, or with apple juice as a mop would give a hell of a crust!

Tom Im not going to get to make it to the gathering wish I could. How good is the black walnut as far as taste and smoke ring. I have heard that it is very good smoking wood. I dont know what type of hickery I have but it is not as good as I thought. The last few times I've smoked I havent had the smoke ring Im used to. Also the meat hasn't had the pink color as before. I thought it might have been the rub but I think its just the dang wood. Maybe I just got a batch of crappy wood.

Hey Marvin, we all go thru those times
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

Guido - drive out in the country and look for peach orchards. When I lived in Ga i remember some pretty good sized orchards outside Atlanta.

Heh. Didn't think about just driving out to the orchards :)

I tried apple/cherry blend this weekend, and I was surprised.. it was very sweet but had a great flavor!

Here in Ontario mesquite is costly, so I start with it then I go through my arsenal of apple, cherry, maple, hickory and any other fruit wood I'm given. I just talk to folks about Q and they bring me wood ... last week a fellow gave me some pear which smelled like peach to me.
I like to mix'em up!

Been kind of busy ... so it is going slow. Got most of the major dents knocked out and used touch up paint on the bottom and inside areas. I will turn her over and work the top next week. I'm hoping it won't leak too much around the door .. (fingers crossed)

Thanks for asking Mom
icon_biggrin.gif

Just upset you got a banged up new smoker you had to wait so long for and can't use it yet. I am still very P#$$ed about that! Why can't they hire delivery and warehouse folks that care about what they do?

I can't wait Squeezy! I excited for you!

i use mostly mesquite. i also use oak, pecan, and silver maple.

marvin, bring me the mesquite, and i will give you all my pecan and oak.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky