anyone here build a flat top griddle?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, i didn't get the auction griddle.  It went too high. ($812.50 !!!!!!-and it was rough!)

So i'll be back as soon as i get everything together and start the build.  

And ill take pix as i go, so if anybody else ever needs some ideas on how (or maybe how not to--lol) build one.

Thanks again for all the replies!

I wish you were local.  I just scrapped out a range with a griddle on top and a oven below.  The top was cracked and leaked grease and the customer didn't want to mess with it.  Take pics of your build.

I wish you were local.  I just scrapped out a range with a griddle on top and a oven below.  The top was cracked and leaked grease and the customer didn't want to mess with it.  Take pics of your build.
Thanks EJ.  Story of my life- wrong place, wrong time,  day late, dollar short!

I will take pix, and post them as i go.  I hope to get started again in the next few days, once this holiday weekend is over, all the visiting and company is outta here and i get things back to normal. (i need a break).
I would put it 6" above the burner. I have one for my Master chef and thats what it measures,.
Thanks!  I think i'll start about there and make it temporarily adjustable and move up from there. 

Well, good for me, but i'm afraid there won't be much of a build to show pix of.  I found a new (damaged in shipping) 36" Blackstone cooktop unit with a broken griddle top.  Going to pick it up this morning. According to the measurements, my griddle plate should bolt right on in place of the broken one with just a couple of bolt hole modifications and maybe some beefing up of the cabinet frame (and stand) to hold the heavier plate i have. The unit originally came with a 3/16 plate, and mine is 5/8 so mine is considerably heavier.  It's already got the cabinet, 4 cast iron propane burners, control valves, tank hookup hose, and a folding steel stand with locking wheels included, so my build won't be nearly as hard as it was going to be to begin with.  I can't believe i found this thing by mistake, but i certainly does pay to be patient!  If this works out like i think it will, i'll have less than 100 bucks in the whole rig when i'm done.  merry Christmas to me!

I'll still post up pix if anyone wants to see them.

Last edited:
9aa61c23_worthless.gif

341e7488_DSC01212.jpg
5898499e_DSC01211.jpg
825fcd08_DSC01213.jpg

Ask and receive EJ!

The first picture is of the superstrut iron i added to lift the griddle to 1 1/4 above the cabinet. It worked great to mount the griddle since it already had "breather holes" for the exhaust fumes.  I put the aluminum piece in front to keep as much heat from coming out next to me, but it still has about 1/8 inch gap between it and the griddle so it will breathe some.  After letting it burn for about an hour (to get the zinc coating off the iron), i took it all apart and used high temp grill paint to make it match the cabinet. Drilled locator holes in the new iron to accept the studs on the bottom of the griddle, then put it all back together.  It works great!  Actually one of the drawbacks (according to the reviews i read on the blackstone), was that it got too hot (even on low), The original plate set about 3/4 so raising the plate by 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 cured that.  There seems to be plenty of air moving because the flames on all four burners are just as blue and steady as they can be.  Now all that is left is to make the grease tray drain tube for the left side, get an ignitor,touch up some chips and scuffs on the cabinet, and i'm all set. Thanks again for all your insight!

Last edited:

Well, i finally got around to finishing the griddle!

Last week i cut the drain chute, got it welded up and bolted on, and made a holder for the drain can.  Only thing left to do (besides cook on it some more) is to order an ignitor. Until then, i light it with one of those long nosed lighters from Dollar General.  We've cooked several times on it for smashburgers and they are delicious.  I go by white castle and buy a bunch of their buns and then roll up a bunch of small burgers about the size of a golf ball.  Season them up good, cook with minced onions and seasoning and about the last minute, throw some cheese on them.  Cleaning up is a breeze, i bought one of those griddle bricks from GFS.  Takes about five minutes and it's ready to put away.  I like the fact that it's on wheels so i can roll it in and out of my shop and keep it out of the weather. The four burners give excellent temperature control for the 4 different zones-that really helps.  I am enjoying the heck out of this thing!!!!  Thanks again everyone for their help!  BTW, i sold the stainless table for $150 (that the griddle came on) and recycled the rest of the stainless from the cabinet, plus some more scrap metal i had laying around.  Ended up with about 25 bucks in it!  (not counting my time).

Last edited:
Thank goodness my daddy taught me the only dumb question was the one I didn't ask. I too would like to build a small grill like this. I have a stainless steel flattop with sides. You set it on a grill or campfire. I wanted to buy a table and put 2 portable propane burners in the middle (haven't figured out how to make burners adjustable yet) and place portable grill on top. Is this possible or I'm I nuts. Thank you

I recently picked up a 3 foot wide X 18 inches deep- commercial flat cooking griddle on a stainless steel table at an auction for cheap ($76). It's stainless, 5/8 inch plate. It was electric at one time (didn't work) but i removed all the heating elements and controls and am replacing them with propane burners, in order to make the unit portable. I have a pretty good idea how i'm gonna locate the controls and such, but i'm wondering how close to the bottom of the plate i need to position the propane burners in order to get the best even heat. I've Googled till i'm cross-eyed and can't seem to locate any info. has anyone done this, or have a griddle they could look at and give me an idea? If not, i guess i'll just make them adjustable till i find the best location before i lock them down. It's a winter project, but i'm ready to get started on it now and was hoping i could get some info here. I finally got all the baked on grease off of everything (what a job!) and now am ready to start assembly. The unit is probably 20 years old or more but in great shape once i got all the crud off. I can post pix later today if it helps, but i'm just looking for a starting point to locate the burners. I am thinking of going with 3 H-shape burners to give me "zone control". I'm thinkin about 3-4 inches, but any thoughts on how far below the plate to mount them?

Or, do i just worry too much, and the location shouldn't matter?

Mods-if you think i might get more responses in another section-Please move this post
At what distance is your plate from burners?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky