Anyone have a standby generator at the house?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
During the Covid lock down the kids were doing their school finals online that involved all day and late into the evening of zoom interaction with the school.
Pow! Edison cut us off and we were dead in the water no electricity.

Our youngest rolled out the generator, plugged it in and was back in class in minutes.
This time over 30 hours the power company shut us off.

Wife nurse gets off a 12 hour all nighter shift at work, gets home, then does a serious 5 hour zoom meeting with her hospital. Reliable electricity is essential.

psEpgJX.jpg

Public outcry has recently triggered fewer power company cut offs.

These Harbor Freight 3500s are another cheap way out. They burn about a pint of gasoline an hour. You can parallel two together with a Firman 50 amp outlet kit:

yjFeGYy.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: wimpy
so i'm not the only wakes uo up at mid AM

We have a stack of Starbucks gift cards family and friends give us. Wife doesn't drink coffee so I use them.
Starbucks coffee is bitter tasting to me but the price is right, free.
A couple Starbucks locations open at 3 AM here and one is 24 hours.
So in the middle of the night the dog and I roll through.

I get a cappuccino.
Dog gets a Puppaccino:
g2qrpeE.jpg

A Cattaccino:

fKZIdNC.jpg

Last edited:
I live in VA and in my area we get outages frequently, so I have a 17KW propane powered, I have a 500 gal buried tank for the house heating, Generac generator set up to power most of my house during a power failure. I can't imagine living without it and highly recommend having backup power for your house.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I live in VA and in my area we get outages frequently, so I have a 17KW propane powered, I have a 500 gal buried tank for the house heating, Generac generator set up to power most of my house during a power failure. I can't imagine living without it and highly recommend having backup power for your house.
In California their is a bill moving through Sacramento to ban home generators.

wow 17 thousand watt gen. ya got a good one , 24kw gets ya 200 amps in 120.

I converted my generator to run on natural gas, no worries about bad gas in the carb. I got a tri-fuel conversion from US carburetor and it can be set up to run on gas, propane or natural gas.

We have A 22KW Generac, whole house generator & a 500 gallon propane tank buried in the yard. It was expensive but will run for a couple of weeks without refilling the propane tank.
Al
Nice!

I was "T n D" lineman in California back in the 80's. Our 1st thing to do on an outage was to patrol and listen for a jenny's running, then we would pulled their meters. We were tired of losing linemen to backfeed.

As soon as the electricity goes out, my generator waits about 5 seconds, then starts up & the transfer switch disconnects from the power grid. When the power comes back on, the transfer switch turns the generator turns off, and transfers back to the power grid.
Al

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
As soon as the electricity goes out, my generator waits about 5 seconds, then starts up & the transfer switch disconnects from the power grid. When the power comes back on, the transfer switch turns the generator turns off, and transfers back to the power grid.
Al

Yup, that's how they're supposed to work. Some, however, don't want to pay for the pricy transfer gear. And do stupid things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky