Anyone have a standby generator at the house?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dive Bar Casanova

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 3, 2021
I went cheap-o and it works great.
I read their are 3 generator factories in China and an overwhelming amount of brand of generators on the market are built there.
Don't hold me to it, I read it someplace.

We get blackouts here up to 30 hours at a time. Fires, winds, earthquakes, excessive heat and DUI's into the local power pole and just like that we're in the dark.

I could have pulled a loan & gone the $12.000 route but did a DIY with the best but simplest way out there at 1/4 the cost.

We always have 100 gallons of gas on hand and natural gas line to the house so it was really simple.

nLqUMpS.jpg Ap6IW8J.jpg

From what I read the 7500 is identical to the Honda 7000 and built in the same factory. Honda doesn't have a 50 AMP receptacle and is over twice the price so we rolled with this. Comparing the two in person I buy into the "built at the same factory near identical units" tale. Ain't knocking Honda.
Amazingly silent and it runs the entire Crankshaft Manor almost on idle and has been reliable as a hammer. One tank full runs 20 + hours easily in econo mode.

Several homes in our area went with the TESLA power bank / solar and paid a whopping $39.000 for the systems. They all failed in the last blackout. All the other solar homes are currently in dispute with the companies they bought them from for various reasons, except one who bough the solar system and installed it himself.

we have 7.5KW genrac in the diesel pusher. use couple cords for fridges, freezers. n just glamp out in the motorhome.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
Utility men have died from this. You can charge lines going back to the street. So, I will not explain what it means. Have a licensed electrician install a switch for your generator if you are doing a whole house circuit.

02727752.jpg
I was that utility lineman.
I never trusted the stamped sheet metal style lock out for many reasons and in some parts they aren't approved.
We went with the dedicated switches.

Our son is a master electrician with his own company. He will tell you that regardless of what ANYONE tells you, regardless of what's going on around you, pull out your meter and check the line...

Yes. But the part that sucks is the line can be energized after the fact by someone doing this. I'm a journeyman electrician with over 30 years experience. And even with all measures in place, sh!t can happen.

so why dont people get 220volt gens n split to 120 like rv's do , 50 amp 220 does 2 -50 amp legs. course when we were at charlotte motor speedway in 2017 we pluged into outlet and fried my first surge guard. tested line volts and it was 480 split to 2- 220's . that surge guard was on my plug and i have hard wired in my electrical bay. so the electricians go to the generator's and say they got it fixed well my son tyler had to tell them its not a damn dryer circuit but 220 in and divided to 120 out in 2 circuits. they did replace my surge guard for free. oh we were in front of the HD tv infield spot ,,,awesome

Yes. But the part that sucks is the line can be energized after the fact by someone doing this. I'm a journeyman electrician with over 30 years experience. And even with all measures in place, sh!t can happen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky