Anybody cooking this weekend ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomCrump

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 11, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
I know that much of that state got snow, this past week, but I wonder if any one is planning an outdoor cook over the weekend.

I have company coming, from Ann Arbor, and I plan to throw a sirloin tip roast into the WSM, for Sunday dinner.

This will be my first attempt at colder weather cooking. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I've got a rack of baby backs I pulled out of the freezer yesterday to thaw, going to fire up the SQ36 either today or tomorrow for the smoke. It'll be in the 80's here both days, so there's that. RAY

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Amazingly I have no outdoor cooking planned for this weekend. Next weekend will be buckboard bacon, Canadian bacon and probably some beef short ribs. I’ll end up making some indoor cooking project this weekend I am sure.

Reactions: mushroomboots
Ive got a couple things in the works now. We got a dusting of snow yesterday early morning and temps have stayed down below freezing until the sun comes up. Did an over night cook on my UDS last night.(ill be posting that later) No problems. It uses a little more fuel in the cold months but once it gets to temp it stays nice and steady. Wind is its only enemy!

Actually, the snow didn't stick in the immediate TC area. The Bay kept things warm.

When we went out for dinner last night, I did see cars that were covered in snow. My guess is that they were from areas 10+ miles out from The Bay.

I'm looking forward to this weekend's cook. I'll place the WSM just outside my garage's service door. The garage is heated, and my friend and I can watch TV in there. I can also work on rehabbing my 19 year old Weber Kettle.

Going to experiment today with a new way (or at least new for me) to cook ribs. Dry loin back ribs a la "Rendezvous" in Memphis. They cook for about an hour 18 inches directly over coals. I'm just doing one rack to test this.

Actually, the snow didn't stick in the immediate TC area. The Bay kept things warm.

When we went out for dinner last night, I did see cars that were covered in snow. My guess is that they were from areas 10+ miles out from The Bay.

I'm looking forward to this weekend's cook. I'll place the WSM just outside my garage's service door. The garage is heated, and my friend and I can watch TV in there. I can also work on rehabbing my 19 year old Weber Kettle.
I know that much of that state got snow, this past week, but I wonder if any one is planning an outdoor cook over the weekend.

I have company coming, from Ann Arbor, and I plan to throw a sirloin tip roast into the WSM, for Sunday dinner.

This will be my first attempt at colder weather cooking. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

WSM?

Planning on cold smoking salmon for the first time using a smoke tube and pellets. If anyone has any great ideas about what smoke flavor to use or anything else I would just love to hear it. Have fun all!

Well we have a cold wave down here. I actually don't have the a/c on right now, and the high today should only be about 85, but it's going down into the high 60's or low 70's tonight, so I'm going to keep the house open & the a/c off. But after tomorrow it's going back into the high 80's & I'll probably have to shut the house up & turn on the a/c.
Al

I agree with Ray, apple goes really good with salmon. The salmon really picks up the smoke & something heavy like hickory or mesquite will give it too much smoke flavor.
Al

Well we have a cold wave down here. I actually don't have the a/c on right now, and the high today should only be about 85, but it's going down into the high 60's or low 70's tonight, so I'm going to keep the house open & the a/c off. But after tomorrow it's going back into the high 80's & I'll probably have to shut the house up & turn on the a/c.
Al
That is mighty cold. Almost the temperature when landlords in Florida turn on the heat (60). Stay safe brother. :-).

Up here we still enjoy drive-with-windows-rollled-down weather.

Just back from a 2 mile walk with the wife and dog at 21 degrees and when warms up to 28 or so I will be heating up the copper pot with mesquite to do a beef chuck for shepherd pie and dip Sami’s!

I do tons of “cool” weather smoking!

Going to experiment today with a new way (or at least new for me) to cook ribs. Dry loin back ribs a la "Rendezvous" in Memphis. They cook for about an hour 18 inches directly over coals. I'm just doing one rack to test this.

This is the way I do ribs when camping. Rub and place the rack right over hot charcoal 'till about done. Cut 'em, sauce 'em and put them back on to crisp 'em up. I called them Mountain Bones... guess I need to change the name now.

Al
Al - I'm on the other coast of Florida. It's getting down to mid 60's here. Might need to break out the long underwear. ;-).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky